Chapter 19: With the Vampires

I wake up in my cot, the wool blanket scratching my skin. I push it off and stand up. The dirt floor is cold under my feet and the stench of blood is pretty overwhelming, but after about a week of living with the vamps, I was starting to get used to it.

"Hey," Carter says as I enter the makeshift kitchen. Her black hair is in knots, much like mine, and dirt and blood cover her week old clothes, much like mine.

"Hey," I say, sitting down at the table. The barn was huge, with many different rooms. The room that Carter and I stayed in was the smallest, for there were only three of us humans that the vamps didn't suck dry. Across from that is the kitchen with very little to eat in it. Down the hall is where the vampires keep their food. When I first got here with Carter and Derek, I had tried helping many of the humans escape, but was thrown across the room and nearly killed for doing so.

A larger room was where the vampires slept and lived. They hardly ever came out of there unless they wanted food. I notice that they never eat in there. Instead, they take the humans into a very large room and have four or five of them fight each other to the death. The winner got to live for a bit longer while the remaining were all dragged away into some other room that I've never been in before. And the three of us get to clean up whatever was left behind

"Hey," Derek says, entering the room. His blonde hair falls in his eyes and pushes it away with sigh. "What do the bastards have for us today?"

Carter shrugs. "No one has come yet to give us orders," she says. "Maybe they're giving us the day off?"

I snicker. "Yeah, right." My stomach grumbles and I grab a piece of fruit. I want to eat as little as possible because rations were low and, as to what I can gather, the vampires rarely leave the barn for any food besides what they like.

Derek sits down and puts his feet up on the table. "Well," he says. "If we do, what do we do?"

Carter shrugs. "You've been here the longest. What is there to do?"

Derek shrugs. "Nothing," he says. "Nothing at all."

"Have they ever given you a day off?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. Derek has been her for about a month now.

He nods. "Yes. Once. That was in the beginning, though."

"Emma," a new voice says. Chester enters the kitchen, that ugly ass grin on his face. "May I have a word with you?"

I sigh and follow Chester through the barn. We enter a room where a table sits in the middle of the room. "Lay down," he says, shoving me onto the table. "This is punishment for the other day."

"I thought my last beating was punishment," I spit at him.

He laughs. "That wasn't nearly as fun as this is going to be."

I scream as the knife cuts through my still healing skin. I've been here for about five days and each day I was more and more sore. My wounds were slowly healing, but it was still hard to clean and move. After about what feels like forever, Chester finally lets me up and leads me back to the others. "You three have the day off," Chester barks at us. "Don't do anything stupid while we're out hunting."

When Chester is gone, I collapse into the chair. "Are you okay?" Derek asks, both him and Carter looking at me with worry.

Tears stream down my cheeks and blood still oozes from my new cuts, but I nod. "I'll be fine. They said they were going hunting?"

Derek nods. "Yeah," he says. "Why?"

"Perfect," I say, standing up. "That means we have time to get out of here."

"Are you insane?" Carter asks. "That will just get us killed!"

I shake my head. "We'll find my dad. He'll be able to protect us."

Derek laughs at me, his head back and his body shaking. "You damn Winchesters. You guys think you're bloody invincible. News flash, Emma. You're not!"

I glare at him. "I know that, Derek. My dad and uncle have died several times. Now, we need to form a plan. And fast."

Carter looks at me unsurely. "Emma. They're vampires. They have our scents. We can never outrun them."

"We can try!" I yell at the two of them. "You would think I was with two nonbelievers than two hunters!"

Carter rubs her head. "Fine," she says. "Fine. What the hell is your plan then?"

I sigh. "Easy," I say. "We just walk out, run for a bit, and stop at the nearest hotel. We call my dad and hope he's nearby."

"Wow," Derek says. "What a great plan."

"Can you think of anything better?" I snap at him. Carter and him exchange a look but remain quiet. "That's what I thought." Without another word, we begin making our way out of the barn.

It takes about ten minutes to find the exit. Luckily, it seemed that no one was left behind, so we were able to get out with ease. The night air is humid and causes my open wounds to sting, but I press on. The moment we are outside, we begin running.

***

We run forever, it seems like. We finally hit a small town and race into the nearest motel. I ask for the phone and dial Dean's number.

"This is Dean," he says into the phone and I immediatly burst into tears. "Emma? Is that you?"

I hear shuffeling in the background and faint "Emma" from Sam. "Emma? Are you still there?"

"I'm here, Dean," I finally say. "I'm with two other people. We are in northern Kansas. I'm not sure the exact town name, but we are sitting in a motel called Keensly. Please, Dean. You need to hurry. We don't know when the vamps will come looking for us."

"We'll be there in about an hour, Em," Dean says into the phone. "You just stay right there. Don't move. We know exactly where you're at and we aren't far. Just don't move. Find a weapon. It's damn hard to kill a vampire, so make it big. If they come for you, you need to be able to cut their head off, alright?"

"Yes, Dean," I say. "Hurry. Please."

"We are coming, Emma," he says and hangs up the phone. I look to Carter and Derek, their eyes expectant.

"They'll be here in about an hour," I tell them. "Any idea where we can find large knives?"