Chapter 21: The Talk

I sit on the couch in nothing my pajamas, my headphones in my ears. It was late and everyone else was sleeping. I, however, cannot. I stare into space, not paying attention to anything but my music.

I feel a hand touch my shoulder and I jump, getting into a defensive stance. I swing at whoever touched me and make contact with a shoulder. "Woah," Derek says, putting his hands up.

I take my headphones out and look at Derek. "You scared me!" I say. "Don't do stuff like that."

Derek laughs and massages his shoulder. "Nice swing. Shouldn't be surprised since you've been practicing your fighting every day for the past month."

I sigh and sit down. "It's the only thing I can actually do, being under house arrest and all. Plus, Dean insisted that I practice since I haven't really practiced much."

Derek sits down next to me. "Can't sleep either?" He asks after awhile.

I nod. "You having nightmares, too?"

He sighs and runs his hands through his blonde, curly hair. "Every night. I normally just stay in my room, but today I thought I would try walking around the house, to see if that would help. That's when I found you. I didn't mean to scare you. I didn't realize you were listening to music."

I laugh and put my iPod on the coffee table. "You're fine. Just really jumpy."

He nods and sits back. "That's understandable. We all are. I think Carter the most, though. Did she tell you about what they did to her before she agreed to finally join them at the barn?"

I shake my head and sit on my side, my head resting on the couch as I face Derek. "No," I say. "What happened?"

He sighs and looks up. "She probably doesn't want me saying anything... But you should probably know. When she arrived she was pretty well healed, but she told me that Ricki, the vamp that was in charge of getting her, just tore the shit out of her."

I think back to the scars I've seen on her arms and legs. "Chester did something similar," I say. "He cut into me. For hours. And he made Dean watch." Tears well in my eyes. "It didn't take me long to cave. He stabbed Dean and I couldn't take it anymore. I just wanted to keep my family safe."

Derek nods. "Same here. David, my vamp, only had to torture me for ten minutes until he threatened to go after my little sister. She's only seven, so I instantly begged for mercy. Carter was on the table for days."

My eyes go wide. "Oh my, God. That's awful."

He nods. "They couldn't really threaten her family, though. None of them are alive."

I shake my head and look up the stairs. "Wow. I feel so bad for her. She's so sweet."

Derek smiles and looks ahead of him. "Yeah. She is."

I smirk but don't say anything. "So," I say, biting my pinky nail. "We've been living with each other for over a month and yet we know nothing about each other. Who are you, Derek Vince?"

He smiles and stretches his arms above his head with a yawn. "What do you want to know, Emma Winchester?"

I think for a second. "What's your favorite color?"

He laughs and lets out a sigh of relief. "I thought these were going to be some seriously personal questions."

I laugh with him. "Hey, someone's favorite color can be very personal. Says a lot about a person's personality."

He laughs and then thinks for a bit. "My favorite color would have to be blue. Like the ocean. What about you?"

"Green," I say. "Like the color of grass, not an ugly green. Your turn."