Chapter 2: Vampires

"'Winchester,' I had said ever so silently. I had heard tales of the Winchester family. John Winchester is one of the most famous hunters and his sons have been training with him for pretty much all his life. Needless to say, the Winchester's have made quite a name for themselves in the last couple years. I bet they're going places sometime in the future.

So today's hunting story involves these three famous men. I was at school, my mom out working a case. I had begged her to take me, but she had told me it was too dangerous. I bet it has to deal with whatever that demon was talking about the other day, telling me how he knew who killed my real parents. I don't really care, though. School is a fun way to distract me from the unseen world. It's like a break. And that last case had taken a lot of me.

I guess the Winchesters are working a case out here in Canyon City because today I saw THE Dean Winchester walking the very hallways of my school. He was just as gorgeous as everyone said. And his little brother Sam was truly adorable. When I had approached Dean and whispered his last name, he was surprised that I knew his name and asked me who I was. Of course, he had no idea who I was. It's kind of hard to make a name for myself when Mom hasn't taken me anywhere out of Canyon City for the past eighteen years. When I told him I was a hunter as well he instantly asking me all sorts of questions about recent vampire activity in the area.

Now, I have never had to deal with vampires. If some ever came into town, Mom and Dad were quick to take them out. I hadn't heard of any recent activity, but then again, Mom and Dad keep everything pretty quiet when it comes to the most dangerous hunts. When I didn't have any answers he asked me if my parents did. When I said they were out of town, he asked me to join his family on the hunt. How could I say no? And once I kill these bastard vampires, Mom and Dad will be so proud of me. Then maybe, just maybe, they'll take me out on more hunts with them."

"Emma," Mom calls from down the hall. I place the book down and walk out of my room.

"Yeah, Mom?" She stands out in the hall, her arms crossed and her expression one of disappointment. What did I do now?

"I'm going out for a bit. I probably won't be back until late," she says. "I'm sorry. I know we had those plans to go to that pizza place that just opened. But work calls for me."

I feel my face fall. I really shouldn't be surprised. Things like this happen all the time. But still... It sucked. "That's okay. We'll go some other time."

She smiles and comes give me a hug. "Yes, we will." She pulls away and starts walking back down the stairs but stops and looks at me. "Oh. I almost forgot to tell you, but I invited that new boy from down the street over tonight. Michael, I think his name is?"

"What?" I blurt out. "But you're not even going to be here!"

She laughs. "Oh, calm down, Emma. He's a nice boy. And his parents are very kind, too. I figured you would want some company since I won't be here. And he's new. He could use some friends."

I sigh loudly and walk back into my room. "Yeah. Whatever, Mom."

I hear her laugh. About an hour later I hear her leave. It's not long after that a knock comes from the door.

"Hey, there!" Michael says. I open the door open for him to enter. "How are you this evening?"

"I'm alright," I say.

He smiles, an uncomfortable silence falling around us. We awkwardly stand in the front room, my arms crossed and his hands in his pockets. "So," he says, looking around. "This is awkward, right?"

I nod. "Extremely," I say and walk into the kitchen. "Are you hungry? My mom left cash to pay for a pizza."

He follows me into the kitchen. "Yeah, sure. That sounds great."

I smile up at him and grab the phone. After the pizza is ordered, we fall into another awkward silence.

***

The rest of the evening goes by, each minute becoming less and less awkward. After the pizza got here, some tension seemed to be lifted. We both curled up on separate parts of the couch and put in Captain America: Winter Soldier. After that was over, we told each other some funny stories from our past. I tried to ignore the fact that Michael seemed to leave a lot out, it being very obvious with his choice of words. Finally, I caved.

"Okay, I have a question," I say. Michael nods, taking a sip of his water. "Why all the secrecy?"

He raises an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

I give him a dubious look. "I mean that you aren't telling me everything. C'mon. Tell me."

He shrugs and sits back. "I don't know what you're talking about."

I roll my eyes. "Whatever. Be secretive. I have secrets of my own anyways."

He smirks at me, his blue eyes staring right into my green ones. "Oh, really? Do share."

I swallow, suddenly nervous, but I shake my head and laugh. "Nuh-uh! Not fair."

He laughs and scoots closer to me. "Ah, c'mon, Em. You can tell me anything."

I bite my lip and sigh. "Fine. Well," I start. "I tell everyone that my dad is dead. That he died when I was a little girl. In some brutal car crash or something like that, but..."

He puts his hand next to me knee, his perfect blue eyes urging me on. I take a deep breath. "I never knew my dad. My mom told me I was a product of a one night stand. The most magical night of her life is what she calls it."

"Really?" He asks. "Wow."

I nod. "Yeah. I think that's why I never see her. I think she hates me."

He puts an arm around my shoulders before I even realize that I've begun crying. "What? No, don't say that. I'm sure your mom loves you."

"Then why is she never home? Why can she barely look at me after being around me for too long?" I place my head on his shoulder and take a deep breath. After wiping my tears away, I sit up. "Thanks," I say. "I didn't even realize that I felt that way."

He smiles at me. "Anytime," he says. We sit there for a bit, our eyes staring into each others. His eyes quickly go to my lips before he looks back up. My breath hitches as he begins to lean in. But just right before our lips meet, a crash from outside scares us both and a scream has Michael running for the door.