Chapter 22: Get Ready

I wake up to the sound of an engine running. I jump out of bed and race downstairs. Sam and Dean had gone off on a hunt a couple weeks and by the sounds of it, they were finally back. I rush outside, still in my pajamas, and jump at Dean.

"You're back!" I say, hugging my dad. He hugs me back, both him and his brother laughing.

"How's everyone doing?" Dean asks as we make our way inside. Derek and Carter sit on the couch playing some card game and Michael is in the kitchen helping Bobby make breakfast. Hannah had left for home three days ago, so there was more room for everyone.

"Good," I say. "Bobby and Michael are making waffles."

Dean claps his hands and rubs them together. "Race you to the kitchen," he says, pushing passed me. I laugh and race after him. He makes it to the kitchen first and wraps his arms around me, stopping me from entering any further. I giggle loudly as he begins tickling me.

"Hey, Dean," Michael says and they do that bro high-five/handshake thing. Dean then lets me go and walk over to Bobby.

"They almost ready?" He asks. "I'm starving."

"He's in a good mood," I remark to Sam.

Sam nods. "Yeah. He was really happy to be back out on a hunt, but then he started getting annoyed that it was taking too long. He was actually talking about how excited he was to get back here." 

I smile and sit down at the table as Bobby and Michael place plates on the table. "Derek, Carter!" Bobby calls and the two come running in. We all eat and laugh. Sam and Dean tell us about their hunt and I cringe at some of the parts. They had been hunting shapeshifter and things had gotten interesting for them when they discovered there was more than one working together.

"I want to go hunt," Carter says, pouting. "It's been way too long."

"Hey," Dean says, pointing his fork at her. "You know that it's too dangerous for you right now. But I promise that once this is all over you can go hunt until your hearts content."

Carter sighs and leans back in her chair. "Yeah," she says. "Whatever."

We continue eating, laughing and joking around. We were just finished up when all of a sudden Castiel appears.

"They're coming," he says quickly and we all freeze.

"What?" I ask, my heart racing.

Castiel looks to each of us. "The vampires. I have been tracking them and they will be here soon."

The two brothers are already up and getting in action. "You three, come with me," Bobby says and we follow him down to the basement. A large safe room with all sorts of symbols and weapons is down there and he gestures us into it.

"You stay in here. It won't keep the vampires out, but there's enough down here to protect you. See those jars? That's dead man's blood and I suggest you all get weapons and dip them in that. You'll be able to kill the vampires with that. If that doesn't work for some reason, beheading them will."

Derek, Carter, and I all nod and we jump towards the wall with all the weapons. Bobby leaves us after he grabs a jar for him and the boys upstairs. We each take turns dipping our daggers into the jar. The sticky substance smells, but as long as it kept me safe, that was all that mattered.

We each stand, looking out the door, waiting.

"Come and get me, you sick bastards," Carter says. We all exchange looks, knowing that our forever running was to end. Tonight. I swallow hard and look back out into the basement. We wait and we wait, the clock ticking down.

***

A crash from upstairs has us jumping up from our sitting positions. It had been at least an hour since Cas delivered the news and nothing had happened. We all look at each other, fear marking each of our faces.

"Guys," I say, looking out of the safe room. "We got this. As long as we work tog-" another crash cuts me off. "Screw it," I say. "Let's go help those idiots."

They both nod in unison and we silently make our way upstairs. I peek around the corner and see nothing. It was quiet. Too quiet.

I motion back to Carter and Derek and we all tiptoe into the living room. We all nod to each other and split off in different directions, Carter going upstairs, Derek heading towards the back of the house, and I to the kitchen. I turn the corner and run into Dean.

He gives me that looks that asks "What are you doing?" and I just glare at him. He glares back but motions me behind him. He looks around the corner. I see movement outside the kitchen window. A moment later it moves back and I see that it's Sam. A moment later, Michael joins him.

I keep my knife out in front of me, my hand shaking. I hadn't done anything like this since the banshee all those months ago now.

"Hello, Emma," says a voice behind me and I whirl around to see Chester standing there. "This isn't exactly the welcome we were hoping for."

I glare at him. "You don't deserve any type of welcome, you son of a bitch." I charge him, Dean trying to stop me, but my anger towards the vampire blinds me.

I'm just about to stab him when he comes at me fast, slapping the knife out of my hand. I'm twisted around and thrown down on my knees. Chester keeps a hand in my hair and presses his own knife to my throat.

"Don't you move, Winchester," Chester says. Just then, more vampires enter the kitchen, two of them dragging Derek and Carter with them. The other boys run into the kitchen. Michael glares at Chester.

"Let her go," he yells at him.

"Put your weapons down, boys," Chester says. They all glare defiantly. "Okay. Or don't." He then proceeds to press the blade to my throat and I feel something hot and wet run down my throat. A burning sensation spreads it's way through my neck and I have to keep myself from yelping out in pain.

"Okay!" Dean says, putting his hands up. "I said okay! We're putting them down! Just stop hurting her!" He slowly puts his knife down and the others do the same thing. Chester motions to one of the vampires and they quickly grab the weapons with just a blink of an eye.

"Good, Winchester," Chester says. "Now, if you excuse us."

"No!" I yell out and turn around, punching the vampire in the throat. He coughs and the other vampires quickly grab my flailing limbs.

Chester rubs his throat, a look of anger in his eyes. "That hurt," he says and then plunges his knife into my stomach.

I scream and fall to my knees. I hear someone call my name and then a crash just as my vision goes black and I know nothing for a time.