Chapter 14: The Banshee

About a week goes by and still no sign of the banshee. Michael's wounds are starting to look a lot better, but he's definitely not healed enough to do anything.

"Em," he says. "I can do this. I have enough strength back." 

I glare at him. "No," I say. We have been arguing about this off and on for the last couple days. 

"Emma," he says.

"Michael. I'm serious. This is serious. I understand that you just want to take care of it and get it over with. But I can't lose you," I say, tears welling up in my eyes. "Not like I lost my mom. I don't think I could go through something like that again. Not this soon."

He sighs and puts an arm around me and I lean into him. "I know. I know. But Emma," he says. "You act like I'm going to truly be alone. I'm not. Dean, Sam, and Hannah will all be nearby to make sure I don't get hurt."

I push my head farther into his chest. "I still don't like it," I say, but my words are muffled by his shirt.

I feel Michael relax a bit and he gives me a squeeze. "Emma, I know. Just-"

"Why didn't you tell me about my mom?" I ask, sitting up. I have been avoiding asking him this all week because I knew it wasn't the right time. But I couldn't keep it up any longer. I needed to know.

Michael looks down and removes his arm from around me. "She told me not to," he says.

"That's not an excuse," I say, tears starting to roll my cheeks. "I had no idea and you... You knew. She told you that she was a hunter. She told you who my dad was. And yet, you still didn't say anything. You acted surprised when I said Dean was my father. This entire time you've been lying to me. Why?"

"Because I know the Winchesters," Michael says. "I've heard some pretty awesome stories about them, don't get me wrong. But I've also heard some pretty nasty stuff about them. Dean knocked up your mother and then left, not once looking back. Do you think he really cared about her, Emma? I didn't want him to leave you like he left her."

I scoot away from Michael as I feel my heart start to break. "He would never do that. I'm his daughter."

Michael gives a cruel laugh. "Yeah. He probably will. They don't exactly care for tie downs. Ask all the other women Dean has been with."

"Stop it," I say and put my face in my hands. "Why are you being so cruel?"

"Because I'm trying to get you to wake up, Emma. The Winchester's are bad news. If they don't get you killed, they'll abandon you," he says, standing up and looking down at me.

I look up at him. My heart can take much more of this. "Why are you saying these things?"

He sits down and takes my hands. "Because," he searches my eyes and takes a deep breath. "Emma, I'm falling in love with you. And just... I don't want you to get hurt."

My whole world freezes and I feel myself slipping away from Michael. I remove my hands from his and stand up. "Don't talk to me, Michael," I say and look away. "I'll let Dean know that you're ready to take on the banshee. Then we can get out of here and never see each other again."

"Emma," Michael says, but I ignore him and make my way up to my room.

***

"Just stay in your room," Dean informs me. "This hopefully won't take too long."

I nod and close my door. It was almost midnight and the plan was to have Michael sit on the couch in the living room watching TV. Hopefully the banshee will appear and then Michael will be able to kill it. If anything went wrong, though, Dean, Sam, and Hannah were hiding in the shadows, ready to put on a fight. Me? I was to stay in my room where I would be safe. I may have been practicing my hunting skills and I was able to take on that ghost back in Valentine, but I was not prepared to take this on.