5. The Boy with the Oh Mah Pony Secret

It was Delilah's second day on Earth and she already wanted to burn this green little planet to the ground.

"Oh Delilah.  Check out the guy at six o'clock.  God took his time with that one.  Those cheekbones.  That ass," Paris said and scooted his stomach closer into the cafeteria table.   

Melon Head's eyes roamed over the piece of candy in a muscle tee.  "Yeah.  I could eat cereal out of those collarbones."

"His jawline could cut through paper," Paris agreed.

"I would tear him apart until he was nothing left but empty bones and twitching meat," Delilah said. 

Ryland choked on his meatball, Brody spat his water out of his mouth, Paris started coughing, HB pushed her lunch away, and Melon Head fell off his chair in laughter. 

"Wow.  That was an incredibly detailed description."  Paris pointed his straw at her before stabbing it through his drink.  

Delilah shrugged and continued casually eating her sandwich. 

Melon Head did the same, slurping on his straw in the soda can.  "Check out the fuckboy coming over here."

"Fuckboy?"  Paris glanced over and sheepishly smiled.  "He isn't a..."

"Hey, shitbags." 

Delilah instantly recalled this cynical character, his face drawn in sharp angles and dark lines.  Razor jaw paired with thick, brown brows that that narrowed whenever a crooked smile cracked across his lips: Lucan was one of the boys who Ryland had gym class with.

"Fuck off, Lucan," Ryland growled.

Brody started playing with peas, tossing them around his plate with his fork.  Paris slurped on his drink and Ryland just glared at him. 

"Afternoon, Lucan!" Paris chirped with a mouthful of juice. 

Lucan slammed his hands down on the lunch table.  "So you do know this psychotic chic," he told Ryland as he flicked his head towards Delilah. 

"Is that a problem?" Delilah asked. 

"Nope."  Lucan smiled.  "It just proves you're all even freakier." 

She raised a brow. "What's wrong being a lil' freaky?

Brody stabbed his pea too hard and it flew off his plate.  

"You're sick," Lucan said, but he spoke with that crooked smile. 

Delilah wanted to cringe.  But it was the good kind of cringe. The kind that she wouldn't mind doing again.

"Anyway," Lucan began.  "I heard you losers were trying again?  You're wasting your time.  One in a million people get chosen.  What makes you so different?"

"It's what we love to do," Paris defended.

"But in reality, that isn't even enough," Lucan said.  He laughed and walked away, tossing them a dark grin.

Delilah tried to understand the exchange that just happened, unaware of what was going on.  But Paris already changed the topic, talking about stock exchange or whatever. 

What were the boys trying to do?  What happened last time? 

Clearly, there were more to these boys. 

+++

"Nothing is working!" Delilah screamed.  The plate lifted in the air and crashed into the sink.