15. The Boy with the HOLY CRAPOLA

Paris plugged in his guitar, a warm hum shaking the bulbs above them.

Lucan glanced over and grinned, before glancing back at his bass guitar. Brody smiled and snatched the drumsticks laying on top of the speakers and jumped onto his red seat. He set up a beat, smacking on the drums as a sound blended throughout the garage.

HB was nodding her head, tapping her feet to the song.

Delilah cupped her coffee mug, glancing at Ryland who just stared at them. She got up from the box and came beside him, watching the boys play with Lucan. She cocked her head to the side and saw his jaw tightening.

Then she grabbed the coffee out of Ryland's hand and his eyes widened, bringing him back to reality. She motioned towards the band with a smile.

He looked up, back at the boys who were already laughing and smiling at each other—the song going terrifically well.

He sighed and moved in, getting into the booth they had set up for Ryland. He put on his headphones and then clicked a few switches. In no time, a sound projected out of his keyboard and the boys turned to Ryland who blended in his own mixes into the song.

HB cheered, shaking and whipping her hand around.

Ryland continued playing, the boys matching their instruments with the beat he kept up. Delilah grinned, tapping her own feet to the sound of the band.

Finally the song ended—Lucan doing a fucking fantastic bass play and shook the string, making the vibrations ring throughout the garage.

Delilah set both cups down and cheered with HB—clapping, whistling, screaming.

"You guys sound fucking amazing!" Delilah exclaimed. She went around, giving each boy a high five. When she was done, she grabbed Lucan by the cheeks and said, "You have my vote!"

He grinned and held her hands there for a moment, smiling down at her.

"That's what I'm talking about!" Paris exclaimed and did a high jump.

"Was it just me or did we sound fucking awesome?!" Brody glanced to Ryland who was staying awfully quiet. "Riley?"

He turned towards them. "Hm?"

"What do you think?"

Delilah had already removed her hands from Lucan's face and was staring at Ryland now. "I think..." He glanced to Lucan and put his headphones down. "I think it was fine."

"And?" Lucan asked.

"And even though I'll never stop hating you, I guess you could join our band," he said.

"Yes!" Paris put his fist in the air. "Alright! Let's take him to the attic, boys," he hooted.

Brody whistled and slapped Lucan on the back.

Ryland gave Lucan a small smile before following after Paris. Lucan laughed, glimpsing behind him to see Delilah standing there with HB. He smiled at her and she returned it, his smile growing even bigger before he disappeared up the stairs and into the attic.

+++

It was their second show of the month, the manager of the coffee house allowing them to play again. Apparently when they played, it increased their number of customers so the manager didn't hesitate when they asked to play again.

Hey can you get my keys from my house on your way here?

Delilah text Ryland back, agreeing so and went into the car.

She drove along the road, humming to one of their songs on the album. She parked on the street, rubbing her hands together at the bitterness of fall weather. Her boots sloshed against the slush on the road, crossing the street to the empty home.

She typed the password in the garage keypad and ducked under the moving door, passing their second car and into the house. She stepped into their basement, but instead of that pleasing warmth, a coldness set off. She saw her breath come out in clouds and shivered.

"Fucking Paris," she hissed, tapping the temperature monitor.

He had this thing for saving energy and money or some shit like that and thought it'd be good to shut everything off—including the heating system—when no one was home.

She walked through the basement, seeing the stairs just up ahead.

A sharp whistle came up and she ducked. She untucked the two heated blades under her coat and rolled across the ground, before jumping to her feet with bent knees. She saw the axe in the wall, and turned towards the attacker.

But there was just the carpet and dead fireplace.

I guess the demons decided to make a visit...

She slowly crept towards the stairs again, her senses high and vibrating—ready to jump.

A shadow zipped beside her and she swung her left arm across. The shadow glitched and blinked, clearing into this black smoke in the shape of a demon spirit.

"Aren't you cute? Sneaking up on me like that." Delilah grimly smiled and then shoved her blade in even deeper, feeding on the scream of the spirit.

There was another whistle and she flew up, another axe barely brushing her skin. She retracted the axe and ran for the stairs.

Her furry coat flapped behind her, black hair tossing and boots clanking on the wooden steps. Her heart pumped faster and she felt another spirit swoop down to her face.

Delilah's eyes painted a starry night, all of the galaxies reflecting in her black eyes. She released a demon screech, and the spirit flew across the room and smacked into the mirror; glass instantly breaking. She hurried up the staircase and sped down the main floor, swinging around the corner.

If she reminded correctly, the keys were on the kitchen counter.

"Someone's getting comfy with the human world."

Delilah's gaze didn't go to the counter as it snapped to the intruder on her couch. Eyes with the colour of ivy green and hair French braided like she carried fire on her back, blue scales flared up her arm but the creamy human skin was painted on her face and body.

"MJ," Delilah spoke. "Get the fuck out of my house."

The spirit laughed, her laughter beautiful as the songs of birds and it was enough to catch the attention of any breathing creature. She had a smile of Aphrodite and the compassion as a mother.  

"That's not how you speak to an ex-fiancee," MJ said.

+++

A/N:

Sorry for the long wait! Don't forget about the demons in this story ;)

Thanks for reading this!

I hope you enjoy the rest that is to come!

Xx

A.