14. The Boy with the I ran out of titles...

"No."

"Ryland," Paris said. "C'mon. Don't be such a dick."

"I'd rather be the biggest dick in the fucking universe then let this happen," Ryland snapped back.

"Even if the smallest dick was actually a tiny cucumber that was destined to be chopped for an afternoon sandwich?" Melon Head offered.

He sent a glare sharp enough to kill any gaze and turned back to Paris. "No. Just no."

"Awe, but Riley—we'd make such great music," Lucan crooned with a sly smile. Dressed in a plaid button down, he laid back against the wooden table with his hands in his pockets.

Everyone agreed to meet at the coffee shop on that beautiful Saturday morning—so Paris quoted (every Saturday was beautiful to him), to talk about something "off the hook" (Paris was a special boy with a special persona).

"He's got a point. His bass play is pretty righteous," Brody said, picking at his straw.

Lucan folded his arms over his chest, leaning back on the counter. "Your boys have a point. They've heard me play."

"Since when did you play?!" Ryland exclaimed.

"Since the third grade, Riley," he answered. He glanced towards Delilah with that devious grin. "Have you heard me play?"

"No. I haven't," she said as a matter of fact.

"Well you've been missing out." He glanced back at Ryland and the boys. "So what do you say, gang? Gonna let me in?"

"Get out," Ryland said, pointing towards the coffee shop door.

Paris put a hand on his arm. "Now, now. Let's not do anything rational." He flashed Lucan a smile. "Give us a minute." He turned his back to Lucan and huddled everyone around except for HB who sat upside down on the couch, painting her nails black.

"No," said Ryland.

"Let's evaluate this situation shall we?"

"No," Ryland repeated.

Paris ignored him. "Problem? We need a bass guitar player. Lucan plays the bass guitar. We bring Lucan into the band. Problem solved." Paris broke out into a smile. "Sound good team?"

"I'm down for it," Brody agreed with a short nod.

Paris looked at Delilah. She shrugged. "I haven't heard him play so I can't really say much."

"Exactly! So no," Ryland stated.

Paris rolled his eyes and called over his shoulder. "Honey!"

"Fuck you, Paris!" HB answered back.

"Should Lucan join our band?!"

"If it's going to make one of you absolutely miserable, then yes!" she responded.

Paris grinned and returned his face back to the group. "Now that's the third yes!"

"Oh no—we're not determining this by the most votes. We all have to agree," Ryland persisted.

"I can hear you!" shouted Lucan.

"Go shove a coffee grind up your ass!" Ryland screamed and Paris grabbed his chin, bringing him back to the circle.

"Get your shit together, man. Alright—since you guys haven't heard Lucan on the bass, how 'bout he plays for you and you can tell us then if he can join."

"I'll still say no," Ryland shot.

"Sure," Delilah simply said.

Paris grinned from ear to ear and jumped up. "Great! Great! Great! Luuuccaaaaaan!"

The bully stood upright at the sound of his name, getting off the window he was leaning on.

"So what'll it be, dickheads?" Lucan asked, making his way over.

"See!" Ryland flew his protesting hand up. "This is why I don't want him to join the band!"

Paris still kept grinning and slapped Lucan on the back. "So we have three out of five votes that say you can join. In order to seal the other two, Delilah and Ryland want you to play for them."

"It'll even ease this tension bunny?" Lucan asked, gesturing over to Ryland.

"I'm not a fucking bunny!" Ryland yelled.

"Of course! He'll warm up to you like chocolate!" Paris insisted with his hand still on Lucan.

Lucan broke out into a crooked smile. "That's a good way to put it." He glanced at his phone and quickly stuffed it in his pocket. "Shit. Sorry, boys but my ride is here. I'll catch you later?" He leaned into the door, talking as he opened it. "Paris—text me when you want to meet up!" He glimpsed at Delilah and gave her a small wink before hustling out of the coffee shop.

"I want to stuff him in a sandwich and suffocate him under ginormous slices of bread," Ryland grumbled.

"What a fun way to die," HB said, still upside down.

"Don't be such an emotionless dickhead." Paris slung an arm around Ryland and tapped where his heart was. "I know you have some feelings deep, deep, deeeeep down."

"Not for assholes like that," he grumbled.

"Just give him a chance," Delilah suggested. "Everyone deserves second chances, right?" He looked at her and instantly his eyes softened. Then that infuriating look returned and he tore his gaze away from her.

"Whatever. I'm going home." He ripped away from Paris and walked out of the coffee shop.

"He'll come around," Paris piped up.

"Are you sure?" Brody watched their angry friend throw his hood over his head, stuffing his hands in his jacket pockets.

"I'm sure." Paris cracked open his wallet and pulled out a few bills. "Now how about some hot chocolate? My treat!"

"I don't want your disgusting sweet drinks," HB groaned, her voice already exhausted from physical movement (breathing was laborious for her).  "Get me a black coffee.  It's bitterness matches my heart."

"Anything for you, butter bean," Paris cooed and ruffled her blonde hair.  "Three hot cocoas and a black coffee then!"