19. The Boy with the Bottle and First Show

"Heyyaaa!

A blur whizzed past Delilah's face, and glass shattered against Ryland's head.  

He slumped to the ground, luckily aught under the arms of Paris.  

"You're all welcome," Melon Head shouted from the car window.  He pulled up with an arm out, the dark smile gleaming under the moonlight.  "What's popping, familia?"

"That was so fucking random," HB stated in a monotone.  

"What?  I just saved all your sexy ass'.  Ryland was about to find out he's an angel," Melon Head replied. 

"What?"  Lucan stepped out of the tattoo parlor.  Before his eyes landed on Ryland knocked out, he ditched to the side of the curb and threw up.  

"Guess we won't have to worry about him," Melon Head said.  "Anndddd the body bag goes back."  His arm shuffled inside the car before resting back on the steering wheel. 

"So what do we do now?" HB asked, shrugging her shoulder.  "We can't keep this secret forever from him.  At this rate, Delilah could go into labor at any time."

"We carry on with our life.  He's slowing growing onto her," Paris stated.  He gave Delilah a sideways glance.  "You notice it too, right?  Keep up your facade and he'll fall for the fake you again." 

Something coiled in her stomach like a snake and she swallowed hard.  "Yeah." 

2 MONTHS LATER

Their gigs were a hit.  Delilah and HB trailed behind the boy band during their concerts, watching them grow into the biggest stars of the industry.  

Tonight was their first huge show; performing on the Lennon stage where hundreds of legends were born.    

Ryland stared into the darkness, blinking back at the bright light shining his eyes. Shapes of shoulders and heads rested among the darkness. He searched through the sea of faces and teeth, panic rising up his legs, seizing him to the spot. A sharp light beam shone on him and he blinked back.

Then that shiny black hair and furry blue coat grabbed his panic, and chocked it out of him. He gulped at the discomfort and kept staring at her until he was calm and he saw those white teeth flash.

He smiled and turned to the hand on his shoulder. Paris gave him a nod and Ryland held the microphone.

"We're the Boys of the Dark. We hope you get lost with us."

He closed his eyes, finding that quiet part of his mind. He clicked the key on his pad and the comforting sounds encompassed his heart and mind.

He pressed his finger down and felt the vibrations run through his finger. The comforting sound of cars running by set him to that one part of his mind he knew was the perfect getaway.

Paris broke into the first verse, the Jack beating the drums down to a good rhythm. Once the chorus rolled around, Ryland was lost in the dark.

The boys were lost in the dark.

By the time the final song rolled around, the crowd was moving in their seats or hopping on their shoes.

Ryland's throat was sore once he took his solo, singing into the microphone and shaking his head back.

Paris plucked the final string and an echo sound resonated throughout the room, leaning everyone high on this ringing tone.

The crowd cheered, phones flashing in the dark and hoots riding over the applause.

Ryland turned around and exchanged smiles with the rest of the boys. He let out a cheer and the crowd heightened their excitement.

"Yeah!" He laughed and waved the crowd goodbye. "Thank you!" they screamed and left the stage.

The thrill still held onto Ryland as he went backstage. He got attacked on the back by Paris who piggy backed with a pumping fist. "We killllllled it!"

Lucan did a backhand high five and Brody happily slapped another down.

"Congratulations, You guys sounded less shitty than usual," HB said, pushing off the metal beam she was leaning on.

Paris picked her off the ground and spun her around before pulling her to a hug. "I love it when you support me."

She sighed and patted his head. "Okay. You can let go now."

Delilah arrived a moment later with big arms. "You guys fucking rocked!"

Lucan swooped her off her feet and she laughed, feet swinging before he set her down.

A knot formed in the pit of Ryland's stomach. He clenched his teeth but as soon as her gaze met his, his jaw relaxed and he lifted his arms up. Then he brought them down again and shoved his hands in his pockets instead. "Heyyy..." he began.

She tucked her hands in her back pocket and moved one up as her voice remained happy. "You tore the fucking roof down out there!"

He nodded, the thought of that bringing that smile back. "We did!" And he added. "Your voice sounded good!"

"I didn't do anything," she said.

"You were here," he said and she grinned back at him.