Prologue (edited)

"Alfred where are we going? We can't leave mommy!" the small tiny blonde and violet-eyed child complained as his older brother pulled him by his wrist. "We can't go to mommy any more Mattie.." The other blonde child with sky blue eyes explained tearfully.

He was ordered to protect his little brother and to stay deep inside the woods for protection for now on, his mother was now dead, brutally murdered by evil men and now it was time for Alfred to play the role of the hero that he was meant to become. He had a job to do and it was to protect the only family he had left, to protect his brother at all costs.

"Alfred, please I want mommy..." Matthew whimpered, just hearing the mention of his mother broke Alfred's heart, he couldn't take the pain any longer. He abruptly stopped right when they reached the middle of the woods and turned to face his brother. "Matthew...mommy is not with us anymore! S-she's gone!" sobs shook through his tiny body and he fell to his knees.

Matthew stood frozen in place, his eyes wide with fear. "N-no..don't play jokes...where's mommy.." Matthew shook his shoulder gently. "Matthew..mommy is gone." Alfred locked eyes with his younger brother, tears trailed down his cheeks. Matthew soon came to realize that Alfred was not playing any tricks and that his mommy was really gone. "M-mommy is.." Tears welled up in his eyes, blurring his vision.

Alfred recollected himself and wiped away the stray tears from his cheeks, he looked up at the sky and saw that the sun was nowhere to be seen but the sky gave off a soft orange color, the day would soon be over and yet the two boys had nowhere to stay or sleep at. He walked over to his crying brother and pulled him into a tight hug and wiped away the many tears that streamed down his cheeks.

"Come on Mattie we'll sleep under the stars today." Alfred held his brother's hand tightly and stayed silent giving him a small, sad smile. He knew Matthew was sad and possibly scarred and broken on the inside, he also knew he couldn't fix the emotional wounds that cut deep inside his heart and soul.

That night they both lied on the soft grass gazing at the stars. "Look, Mattie, from all the way up there mommy is watching over us.." Alfred explained in a soft voice. "Which star?" Matthew asked in a strained voice, Alfred thought for a while until the familiar name popped in his head. "North...it's the North Star." He smiled softly, they both soon drifted off to sleep slowly with their hands still interlocked with each other.

The next morning, two dark figures hovered above the sleeping children Alfred who had stirred awake almost instantly screamed but a hand had clamped his mouth shut, the last thing he saw and heard was his little brother crying out his name with his eyes filled with fear and tears, and everything then suddenly went dark.