CH 21: A New Problem (edited)

It was the beginning of the weekend meaning no work for Arthur and more fun for Alfred and Matthew.

Both boys were searching all around the house. "Remember Mattie it's a blue daisy," Alfred explained as he looked around the small garden they owned. "A blue daisy.." Matthew mumbled to himself and nodded. "And you said I could have a cookie if I find it right?" he asked once more with a pout. "Yes, Papa made them and I know where he hid them," Alfred reassured.

Matthew sighed and continued the search going through the many flowers he could find, eventually he came upon a bush at the back of the house that grew against the wall, the flowers were absolutely mesmerizing. Matthew gasped at the beautiful red flowers. "I'll take one for papa!" he smiled to himself and reached to grab a flower.

As soon as Matthew grabbed a hold of the flower's stem a searing pain spread throughout his fingers and he instantly pulled his hand away, a sharp cry escaped his lips, and Alfred who was only a few feet away heard the painful cry and shot his head toward his brother who whimpered in pain.

He ran to him and quickly took notice of the thorny rose bush, he instantly pulled his away from the bush and examined him. "Show me where it hurts Mattie." He demanded anxiously, and Matthew hesitantly lifted his injured hand to show his bleeding fingers. Alfred comforted his brother. "It's nothing serious, let's see." He dug through his pockets and pulled out a couple of bandages, he grabbed some just in case his brother got hurt. And they actually came in handy.

Matthew flinched as his brother took gently took a hold of his wrist and carefully cleaned the blood with a tissue, which was also in his pocket, and wrapped the bandages around each of his injured fingers. "There, all better." Alfred grinned. "Ain't I a cool hero?" he asked with his chest puffed out. "Yeah, you are." Matthew giggled.

Alfred laughed and then grasped onto his brother's shoulder taking hold of his attention. "Mattie what hurt you is the flowers, they're called roses. Yeah, they're really pretty, but their stems have thorns." He explained with a sudden frown. "I wanted to get one for papa, I made him really sad.." Matthew mumbled glumly. "But if you give papa that flower he'll get hurt too," Alfred explained.

Matthew flinched and quickly shook his head. "No! I don't want papa to get hurt!" his lip trembled as tears pricked at the corners of eyes. "He won't you just have to give papa a different flower," Alfred suggested. "But stay close to the house okay?" Alfred shivered as his eyes traveled toward the thick woods that stood a few miles away from their house.

He could see the gap where the lake separated the woods and their land. "Never go over there." Alfred pulled his brother more away and led him to the front of their house. "Not again." He mumbled and took hold of his brother's hand. "Did you find the flower, Alfie?" Matthew asked curiously to which Alfred frowned. "No, it's definitely not here." His mood was glum.

Matthew frowned and thought for a while. "Oh!" He instantly lit up and tugged on his hand. "Why not ask daddy for the flower? Maybe he knows, or papa too. He's girly right? And girls like flowers." Alfred laughed at Matthew's explanation. "Mattie just because papa is girly doesn't mean he is one." He stated in between a giggle.

Matthew blushed. "R-right..." He stuttered. "I'm not making fun of papa he just looks p-pretty." He explained. "Dad looks pretty too," Alfred said. And with that, both boys were talking about how pretty their fathers were.

Arthur sat near an open window keeping a close eye on his children as he read a book, and Francis was in the kitchen preparing lunch for his family. "Mon amour can you help me prepare lunch?" he asked pleadingly. "Of course love." Arthur shut his book and went over to the kitchen where he was met with Francis wearing the same pink apron he wore last time.