CH 7: Playdate (edited)

As Arthur sat on a waxed wooden table with his sons waiting for their breakfast to arrive he softly smiled. "I've never been to a restaurant before.." Alfred gawked at the many things around him like the pictures that hung on the walls and the lights that hung above their head being held by just a couple of thin wires, he admired the carpeted floor and pale colored walls causing Arthur to chuckle.

"Have you really not seen a restaurant like this before?" Alfred quickly shook his head. "Nope! We always ate what they made and served over there at the orphanage." Alfred still held his wide happy smile, it was painful to talk about his and his brother's horrible past, but when he realized that he and his brother would no longer suffer his smile grew wider. His heart filled with more happiness each time he looked at his father, happy to know that he and Matthew were lucky enough to be chosen by him.

Arthur smiled, he never got tired of Alfred's hyper behavior he was actually quite relieved, Alfred was acting like a normal seven-year-old should, sure he had gone through a depression phase but Arthur knew he was strong enough to pull through it. Matthew, on the other hand, was beyond terrified, being the youngest he never really understood how to be social to different people other than his brother and his father.

He jumped at any loud noise that occurred in the kitchen and flinched when a person or server would walk by them, Alfred quickly noticed his brother's distress and grabbed his hand from under the table. "It's okay Mattie, we're safe." He flashed his brother a reassuring smile. "O-okay Alfie.." Matthew took a shaky breath to calm himself down. "Do you like it here Matthew?" Arthur asked, wondering what his son thought of finally being somewhere other than their house. "It's a little scary...but I'm happy because I get to eat with daddy."

A small blush crept to Matthew's pale cheeks. "Yeah, thanks for taking us here dad." Alfred's sky blue eyes glittered with happiness, it took all of Arthur's strength to resist the urge of pulling both boys into a tight hug. The server soon arrived with their breakfast and set the plates and drinks down. "Thank you for everything." Arthur handed the female waitress a twenty dollar tip. "No problem monsieur." He noticed her thick French accent before she left.

Arthur was left stunned, memories of Francis flooded in his mind. "Daddy she sounded like papa!" Matthew pointed out with a giggle. "Y-yes she did.." He stuttered. "Um...oh yeah! Dad wh,at is this called?" Alfred quickly changed the subject and poked at the round flaflatbreadth his fork. "It looks like someone squished a really big biscuit." He mumbled in awe.

Arthur chuckled. "It's called a pancake, go ahead and try it." He carefully handed him a butter knife. "It's really good." He said with an eager smile, Alfred gave a confused glare at his pancake and slowly placed a piece in his mouth, his eyes shined with glee. "It's better than what we had at the orphanage." Arthur smiled happily, Matthew was staring at a bottle of brown liquid. "Daddy what is this?" he asked curiously with a slight tilt of his head. "That's called maple syrup, you put it on your pancake so it could be sweeter," Arthur explained to his youngest son.

Matthew nodded and handed the bottle to his brother. "Alfie can you help me pour it on my pancake?" he asked eagerly. "Of course Mattie." Alfred carefully poured the syrup on his brother's pancake and then poured some on his own. Matthew giggled and smiled brightly, it made Alfred's heart flutter with joy finally being able to see his little brother with a happy smile. "It does taste sweeter." Matthew's smile was contagious and soon enough the atmosphere was changed into a bright and bubbly mood.

After they had finished their breakfast Arthur took both boys to the park, Alfred was hesitant at first but eventually began to play on the park sliding down the slides and climbing on the monkey bars, other children grew to like him and played tag with him. Matthew, though, had clung onto Arthur's shirt and hid behind his back. "Don't you want to play Matthew?" Arthur asked in concern.