CH 18: Problem (edited)

Arthur slumped in his chair and sighed in relief, glad that his boss hadn't given him a lot of work to do on his first day, though he worried greatly about Alfred and wondered if he was doing okay playing with the other children at the center. Alfred was always an outgoing child, but today was different, he had the characteristics of Matthew who cowered at any loud noise and barely talked to other children.

Arthur wondered if something was wrong with Alfred, his face did look a bit flushed in the morning, and his appetite wasn't as big as it always was, the thought of Alfred being sick worried Arthur greatly. But pushing it aside he typed away at the computer replying to unwanted e-mails kindly declining any offers given, the more quickly he finished the quicker he would be close to done and retrieve Alfred from the center. His eyes stung for a bit he groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose trying to get used to the strain, he was going to have to get used to it if he wanted the job to last.

Back with Alfred, he sat beside his new friend as they looked outside the windows of the center looking at the many flowers. "Hey, Davie where are your parents?" Alfred asked curiously. "My dad is working, and my mom works somewhere else. I usually go with her, but today I decided to come with my dad." He explained and turned to face Alfred with a wide smile. "Now I see that it was a great decision can you believe that if I never changed my mind we would have never met?" he laughed. "Fate is a really scary thing."

Alfred returned the smile. "You think fate brought us together?" he asked. "Yeah! I literally saw no one here that shared the same interest when I arrived, but you were so different than the others." Davie sighed happily. "You like flowers just like me." Alfred shifted a bit closer to him. "You don't think it's girly do you?" a light blush dusted his pale cheeks. "Of course not." Davie laughed in response. "I like flowers, do I look girly to you?" he asked jokingly. "Well, you're pretty." Alfred blurted out.

His face turned a bright red. "I-I mean pretty cool! Y-yeah that's what I meant!" he exclaimed in embarrassment. "Thanks." Davie laughed and patted Alfred's shoulder. "I think you're pretty cool too." He winked which confused Alfred. "W-wha?" he stammered. "It's nothing." Davie shook his head. "Noooo tell me," Alfred whined and tugged at Davie's arm. "I'll tell you when you're older," Davie stated with a mischievous smile.

Alfred pouted and glared at Davie. "Aww come on." Davie chuckled and pinched Alfred's cheek. Alfred didn't know why, but he felt like he knew Davie all his life he felt at ease with him by his side it just felt....right. Davie returned his attention to the flowers outside and a sudden idea popped into his mind. "Oh, I know!" he faced Alfred with a wide smile. "Will you be here tomorrow?" he asked with a hopeful gleam in his eyes.

Alfred paused and thought for a while, he did enjoy spending his time with Davie, and he was close to his father too. It was like killing two birds with one stone he looked at Davie and nodded with a big smile. "Of course!" he stated eagerly. "Just as long as you'll be here too." He stated. "Of course I'll be here, I made a friend and there is no way I'm leaving him behind." He poked Alfred's cheek. "Stop poking me," Alfred whined.

Davie grinned. "Can't help myself you have chubby cheeks!" he exclaimed and squished Alfred's cheeks making him look like a squirrel with fat cheeks. "You buwy," Alfred said, muffled. "Me? A bully?" Davie gasped and released Alfred from his grasp. "I would never." He protested and crossed his arms dramatically. Alfred giggled. "Hey, Davie why do you like flowers so much?" he asked curiously. Davie paused for a long moment trying to think for a true answer, something that felt absolutely certain as to why he stared out the window and smiled to himself. He parted his lips and spoke.

"Well, flowers are like a life. There's so many of them and they're all beautiful in their own special way, they're all different too. And just like people, flowers eventually wilt, but pass on another life." Alfred clung onto Davie's words like they were the only thing worth living for his eyes sparkled with astonishment. "That's...really beautiful Davie." He mumbled and grasped onto his arm.