Abbott

We sat in the kitchen eating, the cook had actually prepared a Sunday roast and I was starving. It was the first hot meal I had had in weeks.

'Did you know Jeremiah and I used to be friends?' he asked me and I shook my head. 'very good friends actually.'

'What happened then?' I asked him.

'He started screwing my sister behind my back. He did not even tell me, I found them in bed together.' I nearly killed him that day.'

'I thought vampires did not have hearts,' I told him and Abbott laughed at me, 'you are right we don't but she was my sister, so we still kept the human connection and I don't like anyone touching her especially my friends, also I don't like being lied to. So unless you want to go back down into that cellar, tell me what other Slayers are at the manor'

I did not want to go back down there and yes I felt like a coward, but I told him what I knew. We had very little as the majority of them were in the states, but in our manor we had two Troll hunters, Two angel watchers, two werewolf hunters and two warlock watchers. Abbot laughed, 'Troll Hunters seriously, like they are needed in England.' I just shrugged. 

Abbott then began to tell me his story 'Did you know I am over a thousand years old. One thousand, five hundred and sixty seven years to be exact. That's why those vampires did not touch me, they are scared of me. In fact everyone is scared of me because of my age and they think that I am a nutter' and he laughed. 'I like that word. I suppose I am really but I don't have to answer to anyone so I do what I like.' He had finished what he was eating and he moved close to me and began playing with the ends of my hair. He was again staring at me.

I was uncomfortable, very uncomfortable and scared. I did not know where to look, I mean if someone was telling you a story you would normally look them in the eye but I did not dare look Abbott in the eye. I could feel him looking at me, he leaned forward and said, 'you have my permission to look at me.' I immediately looked up at him and he continued to talk.

'My family were farmers but we moved a lot around Britain to try and avoid the Romans. One day my sister was attacked by a wanderer, which I bet you can guess was a vampire. He actually left her for dead, I don't think he realised he had turned her. We thought my sister had gone mad and my brothers and I tried to constrain her but she bit and fed on every one of us, she panicked when she realised what she had done and so she made us feed from her as we laid dying and then she attacked our mother and father. She thought that, or knew that, her only chance of survival would be if she turned us all.'

'You have brothers?' I asked him, what the hell was it with all the brothers.

'I have five, I've  not seen them for a long time though but I know that they are all still alive. I always stay with Sara, she is the only one that can keep me grounded and she keeps me sane, I would lose it without her. I actually did have mental problems when I was human but I know I can trust Sara, we look out for each other. My father actually had me exorcised twice because they thought I was possessed. The madness seemed to ease when I became a vampire, like the blood healed me somehow but it's never entirely gone away. I don't know why I am telling you all this shit. I just smiled and he continued.

'We stumbled across the 'Order' by chance, we had heard of them but never seen them. That's where I first met Jeremiah, he was human then and was only about twelve, I remember his mother dying, some years later, I think it was the black fever. He cried for weeks so my mother took him under her wing and she eventually fell in love with his father causing mine to leave. When Jeremiah's father also began to also show signs of the black fever she turned him and the rest of them later. We stayed there for a few good years. However Issac began fighting with one of the brothers because he was trying to get into his sister and their fighting eventually lead the families into a feud.