Prologue

6 Things You Need To Know About The Montgomery Family

I rolled my eyes at the article title. Since when were we the subject of this sort of publicity?

I picked up the magazine out of curiosity, having nothing better to do while I got my pedicure.

The fresh pink shellac on my nails shimmered in the light as I opened up to the page that discussed six apparently important things about my family.

1. Tristan Montgomery became the youngest partner of Montgomery and Sons earlier this year at just twenty two as he joined the family business.

Shocker. Of course Tristan is in the first 'fact' about us. Forget everything you think you know about being the middle child, Tristan defied all of the odds. He's the star of the family. Gerry got the brains of the family, I got the good looks. But Tristan got both.

2. Jordyn Montgomery first walked in London Fashion Week at fifteen years old.

Well duh. With my mom being who she is and me being blessed with her flawless figure? Why wouldn't I walk in her fashion shows?

3. Montgomery and Sons has been the family firm for three generations.

Yeah, my grandfather started the firm straight out of college. Dad, as the oldest, took over once he was old enough, while dad's younger brother disappeared off to the middle of nowhere with the girl he knocked up in high school. We don't talk to that part of our family anymore. And now Gerry and Tristan are the newest faces of the family firm.

4. Gerry Montgomery is actually Gerald Montgomery The Third, named after his dad and grandfather

Anybody would know that.

5. Alexandra Montgomery started her fashion line when she was nineteen years old

That's my mother, everybody. The fashion wizard who was so talented that she moved to New York from London when she was nineteen and struck instant fame.

6. The Montgomery has dined with the president! Multiple times!

See that one I don't understand why it makes the list. Lots of famous families have been to events at the White House. That's not exactly headline news.

"Same color as last time, Miss Montgomery?" Alice asked, holding up the nail polish I usually use.

"Yes." I said, flipping through the magazine to find the fashion section.

A smile crossed my face at the sight of myself from last week's party the family went to.

I remembered that red carpet perfectly. Because I just knew it was main story material.

"Could you hurry up? I have a hair appointment I have to make at eleven." I said as I put down the magazine.

"Going to an event, Miss Montgomery?" Alice asked happily, glancing up at me.

"Well obviously, it's the first day of summer." I replied, inspecting my freshly manicured cuticles. "I'm throwing the party."

Tristan and Gerry were both living on their own, obviously, while my parents and I spent most of our time in the pent house right in the city. But we also owned a house on the water that was very Gatsby-esque and perfect for throwing parties such as today.

Guests would be arriving at one, meaning I had just over two hours to finish getting ready.

Today would be monumental, I could just feel it.

This would set the tone for the summer and for my senior year.

What could possibly go wrong?

~*~*~

"Absolutely not." I said firmly, crossing my arms across my chest.

"Absolutely yes." My dad countered. "This isn't up for discussion, Jordyn. You are out of control."

"Am not!" I protested, stepping back in shock.

"Look around, Jordyn." My dad gestured around the entrance hall of the house that was covered in trash, red solo cups, empty beer bottles, a few stray shoes, and broken bottle of vodka.

"We agreed to let you have a few friends over, this was more than just a few friends." My dad said, positively seething with anger as he looked around the room.

"It was the first day of summer, daddy! I couldn't not throw a party!" I protested. "Come on daddy, it's not that big of a deal."

"Yes, this is a big deal. You haven't seen Uncle Mitch in ages, it's time you take a page out of his book."

My eyes widened.

"No. Way." I said harshly. "I won't go. I'm not going."

"Jordyn the police were called on this party last night! You are lucky you're not facing any charges!" My dad yelled. "Just look at you! You're a mess!"

I rolled my eyes, pushing my messy hair back from my face.

"Because I was asleep daddy. My hair and makeup get messed up when I sleep." I rolled my eyes, my stomach churning from all of this yelling.

"They also get messed up from being intoxicated." My dad said, his voice slightly more calm. "End of discussion, Jordyn, we're leaving. Robert will drive you back to the city. You'll pack your bags and leave your electronics and credit cards on your desk."

I gasped, my hand instantly flying to my chest.

"Absolutely not!" I said loudly. "No daddy don't do this to me!"

"Jordyn-"

"You can't expect me to go all the way across the country and not have any means of communication!" I exclaimed, blinking a few times as I forced tears to my eyes. "Or my credit card! What if there's an emergency, daddy!"

My dad instantly grew uncomfortable as I turned on the water works.

"You can't make me go there with nothing."

"I'm canceling your data plan. And your credit cards will be for emergencies only." My dad said hastily. "Now let's go or you'll miss your flight."

As he left the entrance hall, I wiped away my tears, the fake grateful smile falling from my face.

What the hell did he think he was playing at?