Chapter 20: Connections

Chapter 20

It was 9:30. A full hour after Daniel was supposed to show up.

I was just about to dial Casey's number to come and pick me up when the door to the apartment and Daniel walked in.

"Jordyn." Daniel let out a long sigh, shutting the door and leaning back against it.

I raised my eyebrows, putting my phone down next to me on the couch.

"You are an amazing human being." Daniel laughed, walking towards me. "Seriously. Amazing."

I stayed silent as he sat down next to me.

"Beth just talked and talked and talked and holy shit."

"So I called my friend Julia." I told Daniel. "Because she had a thing with some guy at UCLA."

Daniel raised his eyebrows at me. "Where is this going?"

"And she called him, then called me back." I said, unable to stop the grin forming on my face.

"Why are you acting like it's Christmas?"

"Beth got kicked out of the program." I blurted out, sitting up on my knees. "Now please tell me she was totally awful when you drove her home?"

"Bitched about you half the time, tried to hook up with me the other half." Daniel laughed. "Those two things don't mix."

"Good." I nodded.

"Why'd she get kicked out?" Daniel frowned.

"I don't know that yet. The guy that Julia had a thing with just said 'she got kicked out, stop calling me you creep' and then hung up. Totally ridiculous."

"That's rude of him." Daniel commented.

"Well I mean it's totally justified. His dad is like really rich or something and her relationship with the guy was just to get his dad's money for her dad's business it was very complicated." I explained.

"Seems complicated." Daniel raised his eyebrows.

"Oh, very." I nodded. "But anyways, when I was on the phone with Julia she informed me that her family is hosting their annual charity ball, so I called my dad after that, and he said that I could come home if I wanted to, and then I called one of his golf buddies that works at NYU as a surgeon and a professor for some advanced biology course and I told him all about my friend who is super smart and wants to be a surgeon one day and the guy said he'd totally love to meet him and would give him a tour of the medical center next time he's in New York."

"There were a lot of words to comprehend. Condense it?" Daniel raised his eyebrows.

"You and I are going to New York next weekend for the charity ball that my friend's dad hosts. My dad has a friend that I talked to and he'll give you a tour of the NYU medical center."

Daniel's eyes widened and his jaw literally dropped.

"You didn't." Daniel's face lit up with excitement.

"It pays to know a Montgomery, Daniel." I giggled as he pulled me into a massive hug. "And, I convinced my dad to actually acknowledge you as an Aubrey when we go, not just as my guest."

"Holy shit Jordyn, you're even more amazing than I said when I first got here." Daniel laughed.

"Why thank you." I giggled.

"And you planned all of this in the hour that I was gone?" Daniel raised his eyebrows.

"I'm a very influential person, Daniel. And I have lots of connections." I laughed, kissing his cheek. "But now that you're back..."