Chapter 15: Flat Tires and Almost Kisses

Chapter 15

"Morning!" Aunt Rory said happily as I walked into the kitchen.

"Why'd you let us sleep in?" Casey asked curiously as she followed close behind me.

"Random burst of kindness." Aunt Rory laughed. "It's an easy day today. Daniel should be here any minute for some errands, so you'll help." Aunt Rory said, glancing in our general direction.

She was talking to Casey, obviously.

"Oh great, where are we going?" Casey asked curiously, reaching for a muffin from the table.

"What?" Aunt Rory glanced up at her. "Oh no, darling, you're coming with me to the shelter today. They're short staffed in the kitchen."

I froze in the middle of reaching for a muffin.

"Wait that means I'm going with Daniel?" I asked quietly.

"Yes." Aunt Rory nodded, a grin spreading across her face.

"You know they're not actually dating. That was simply operation piss of Mr. Aubrey." Casey laughed as I continued to reach for my muffin.

"Yes, of course I know that." Aunt Rory shrugged. "But I need your help today and someone has to go with Daniel."

"You make it sound like it's a bad thing, Mrs. M." Daniel laughed, walking into the kitchen. "Casey, ready?"

"Jordyn's going with you actually." Casey said awkwardly, glancing at me.

I forced a smile on my face.

"Great." I said softly, pulling a piece off of my muffin as I walked towards the door.

Daniel grabbed the list from the counter with a sigh before following me outside.

"Why don't you just bite it?" Daniel asked, watching me pull another piece off of my muffin.

"Because it's less messy this way." I shrugged, getting into the passenger seat of his truck. "Do you have a problem with the way I eat my muffins?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Not at all. I am an Aubrey after all. Apparently we have no sense of doing anything right." Daniel said slightly harshly as he got into the truck as well.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not going to put up with you being that way all day." I said quietly. "Don't be immature about this."

"Oh really? I think it's immature to judge someone based on the idiotic behavior of their family." Daniel said under his breath as he pulled out of the driveway.

"Well this day is going to be fantastic." I sighed as I put the last bit of my muffin into my mouth.

Daniel didn't reply, his attention faced forwards on the road.

When we got to the hardware store, I went to get out of the car, but Daniel stopped me.

"Just wait in the car. It will be faster if I just do it on my own." Daniel told me as he got out of the car.

With a sigh, I pulled my phone out of the back pocket of my jeans and leaned back against the seat.

I tried scrolling through Instagram, but nothing was loading.

The lovely spotty cell service out here was biting me in the ass.

So I rested my legs up on the dashboard and jammed out to music while I waited for Daniel.

I just had to get today over with and then I'd be in the clear.

Then we'd establish the fact that we were separate people with no connections and maybe it would be a little less awkward.