Chapter 17: Do You Even Lift, Bro?

Chapter 17

"Whoa did we fall asleep?" I asked sleepily, pushing my hair back from my face.

"Huh?" Daniel mumbled as he sat up next to me.

"What time is it?" I asked, disregarding my first question.

"Too early." Daniel sighed, laying back down on the futon.

"Agreed." I stifled a yawn, laying back down next to him.

"But seriously what time is it?" Daniel asked with an exasperated sigh as he reached over me for his phone on the floor. "Half past nine, shit."

"What?" I frowned as he rested his weight on me.

"I'm late."

"Late for what?" I raised my eyebrows, wondering why he wasn't being specific.

"Working out. I promised myself I'd work out today and I always start at nine." Daniel sighed, his eyes meeting mine. "So I'm afraid I'm going to have to drive you home."

"Why can't we just work out together?" I frowned.

Daniel raised his eyebrows at me with a laugh.

"I mean, if you want to, then of course." Daniel said, sounding slightly skeptical.

"I am offended by your lack of faith in my physical abilities." I laughed as I got up from the futon. "What does this workout consist of?"

"Uh I usually go for a run first and then go to the gym." Daniel told me, standing up as well.

"Excellent." I grinned. "Just take me back to the house so I can change into some athletic clothes and then we'll run."

"Alright then." Daniel laughed, still giving me an odd look as we walked towards the door. "Are you sure about this?"

"Yes, Daniel." I rolled my eyes. "And quite frankly I'm offended that you think I don't work out."

"Well do you work out?" Daniel laughed, shutting the door behind us as we walked down the stairs.

"Yes." I groaned, walking outside ahead of him.

Daniel shook his head in amusement as we got into his truck.

"So what do you usually do at the gym?" I asked curiously.

"Uh... Different things. Lately, Wallace and I have been doing some boxing but today I think I'll just lift if you're coming with me." Daniel told me as he turned on the truck. "What do you usually do when you work out?" Daniel asked curiously.

"Well towards the end of the school year, Julia and I would run a lot around her estate it's like a lap per mile because we were training to do a half marathon." I replied. "But on the days that we didn't run, we switched off between kick boxing and yoga."

"You ran a half marathon?" Daniel's eyes widened.

"Yeah!" I grinned. "We were aiming for a marathon by the end of the summer but I think that will have to wait until next year due to my prison sentence."

"Wow I did not think you were that athletic." Daniel laughed. "How come you never mentioned it?"

"Because I was too busy hating this damn place to talk about myself too much."

"You always talk about yourself, Jordyn." Daniel laughed as he drove towards my uncle's house.

"That is true." I laughed. "But my family's status gets me a lot more credit than being a runner."