Chapter 8: Designer Jeans and Mud Puddles

Chapter 8

"You seriously don't know how to drive?" Daniel asked quietly as he continued to drive me home.

"I have never sat behind the wheel of a car." I replied honestly.

"Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous." Daniel muttered, glancing in his rear view mirror before taking a quick right down a road away from the direction of my uncle's house.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked with a sigh.

"I am teaching you how to drive a damn truck." Daniel replied with a laugh, shifting his seat.

"Um no you're not." I said quickly, sitting up slightly. "Absolutely not. That is illegal and that is dangerous."

"Oh like you've never done anything illegal?" Daniel glanced over at me with a laugh.

I felt my jaw clench and I gripped the edge of the seat as the truck clunked over a large pothole.

"What the hell is wrong with your damn streets?" I snapped, my stomach churning.

"It's called Michigan winters." Daniel laughed. "The salt screws with the roads and all the freezing and thawing of the ice makes the pavement crack."

"There isn't pavement on this damn road." I hissed.

"Listen, Michigan's got screwed up roads, it's just a fact." Daniel said, taking another harsh turn to turn into a large grassy field with nothing in it.

"Where are we?" I asked curiously as Daniel drove to the middle of it and put the truck into park.

"Come on get out." Daniel told me. "We're at the football practice field."

"Why is it so far away from town?" I asked as I got out of the car.

"Because it's off the beaten path and Coach Rubin liked it." Daniel shrugged. "But it's great for parties during the summer. I think there's one later today actually."

I glanced down at my watch, forgetting that it was only like one in the afternoon.

"Why are you teaching me to drive in the middle of a field? Shouldn't we be driving on actual pavement?" I asked, hesitating outside of the truck.

"Because there's no empty parking lots at this time of day and I do not trust you on the roads yet." Daniel laughed, opening up the driver's door. "Now get in, you're going to learn to drive if it's the last thing I do."

"It might be." I giggled, climbing into the truck. "Ooh this seat sinks in."

"Because I'ma always in it, goof." Daniel told me as he got into the passenger seat. "Okay so the first thing that you have to know is that the brake is on the left and the gas is on the right." Daniel said, pointing down to my feet.

"Hold on." I said, reaching down to undo the strap across the top of my wedges.

"What are you doing?" Daniel frowned.

"Well I can't drive in heels." I rolled my eyes, taking them off and tossing them on the floor at his feet.

"Alright then." Daniel laughed.

"Okay. So brake on the left. Gas on the right." I nodded, grabbing the steering wheel. "What now?"

"Now this truck is old and the brakes aren't too sensitive so you really gotta press down on it. The gas is the same way." Daniel told me, sitting sideways in the seat to pay attention to me.

"Okay." I nodded. "What now?"

"Well here your hands go here." Daniel said, reaching over to move my hands into the right positions. "Ten and two, like on an analog clock."