Chapter 3: So How 'Bout Them Tigers

Chapter 3

A rooster.

An actual real life rooster woke me up in the middle of the damn night.

My eyes flew open as annoyance bubbled up inside of me.

This has got to be a joke.

"Come on, princess, time to get up." Casey said from the bunk below me.

The brat made me sleep on the top.

"What the hell." I muttered, pushing the blanket off of me.

"You'll want to eat, let's go." Casey said, pulling on a pair of jeans.

She pulled a t-shirt over her head and was out of the room before I could say anything else.

How did she get ready so fast? Did that really just happen?

I jumped down from the bunk, walking over to my suitcase.

What did one wear to work on a farm?

Jeans seemed good...

I pulled out my loose cropped jeans that had holes in them. I pulled them up my legs, stifling a yawn.

It was still dark outside. It should be illegal to be up this early.

My eyes watering from my yawn, I unfolded one of my cute white v-necks with cuffed short sleeves.

This would do for today.

My hair was still straight but I didn't feel like wearing it down would be a good idea, so my eyes blurry with sleep, I quickly french braided the thick brown hair back into a french braid.

I simply cleaned up my makeup, reapplying mascara and a little bit of coverup.

And lipgloss too of course. Lipgloss was essential.

I pulled on a pair of black Vans, figuring that of all the shoes I brought, these could withstand the dust the most.

I took a deep breath, looking at myself in the mirror.

I actually looked kind of cute.

I grabbed my phone, snapping a quick mirror selfie.

Opening up Instagram as I walked downstairs for breakfast, I posted the picture with the caption 'ready to work!' with the little muscle emoji.

I logged out of Instagram before the notifications came flooding in and tucked my phone into my back pocket.

"Good morning." I said happily, walking into the kitchen.

Casey's mouth fell open, giving me a disgusting view of her scrambled eggs and toast.

"What the hell are you wearing?" Casey asked in shock.

"That seems to be a common question of yours." I said, forcing a smile on my face. "But these are my casual clothes." I replied.

Even Aunt Rory stifled a laugh as she handed me an empty plate from the cupboard.

"Good luck with that." Casey laughed.

I frowned as I looked at the messy food on the counter.

I carefully put a small serving of eggs on my plate, the smallest piece of toast there was, and a spoonful of fruit.

"You guys don't have any low fat greek yogurt do you? Or possibly protein shakes?" I asked curiously, walking over to the table.

"Not a chance." Casey shook her head, taking a large bite of her eggs. "That's all you're eating?"