Chapter 2: Daniel Aubrey

Chapter 2

"What are you doing this evening?" Aunt Rory asked Casey during dinner.

"I think the guys and I are going to Ray's." Casey replied with a shrug.

Who was Ray?

"Guys? Daniel still following Wallace around like a lost puppy?" Uncle Mitch asked with amusement.

I'd been shocked when I first saw him.

He was nothing like I remembered him. Uncle Mitch and my dad used to be like two peas in a pod, completely alike. Even with ten years between them, Mitch was exactly like my father.

But now they barely resembled each other.

While my father was still the business man that he'd grown up to me, dressed in fancy suits and styled hair, Uncle Mitch had taken on the persona of someone you'd expect to live in a town like this. Uncle Mitch was tan, much more buff than I remember him, and barely looked like my dad at all.

"Daniel is not like a lost puppy." Casey said defensively. "He's just... I don't even know."

I was still confused as to which one was the one that she was aggressively making out with earlier and which one was the friend patiently waiting in the driver's seat.

"Well anyways, I don't want you out too late with Wallace tonight." Uncle Mitch said seriously.

Casey rolled her eyes but didn't argue.

"Whatever." Casey mumbled.

"And take Jordyn with you." Aunt Rory piped up.

"What?" Casey said harshly. "Absolutely not!"

Aunt Rory gave her daughter a harsh look.

"It's okay, I don't need to go." I shook my head with a smile. "Not quite my scene."

Casey glared at me.

"What, you won't go because it's not sophisticated ass holes trying to act all proper for the damn paparazzi?" Casey said harshly.

Precisely.

"No actually, I'm not that big of a drinker." I lied, putting a smile on my face. "Besides, I should sleep, especially if I'm going to help out tomorrow around the place."

While I was forced to sit in the disgustingly messy, boiling hot room all afternoon, I came to a realization.

If I kept my nose clean and did what I was told, I could get out of here earlier than planned.

Besides, who doesn't love sucking up?

Casey was absolutely fuming with anger.

"Fine. You can come." She snapped. "We're leaving at eight."

"Sounds good." I smiled.

"Thank you for offering to help out tomorrow." Uncle Mitch said, sounding slightly shocked at my willingness to help. He didn't need to know that it was fake.

"Oh of course. It's the least I can do since my father forced me upon you." I said with a smile.

"Great. We usually wake up at five for breakfast and get working by half past." Uncle Mitch said happily.

I nearly choked on my food.

But I forced myself to nod.

Anything to get home sooner.

"Got it." I nodded with a smile.

~*~*~

"What the hell are you wearing?" Casey asked as I walked out of the bathroom.