Chapter 31

~Vent

Lucy's 's Point of View

Aris had been here, for what? A week? He crawls around these vents like its his home.

He continued to make small conversation with me, getting my mind off of the fact that we are in a vent, very small vent.

We made a turn and then the top of the vent went up about 2 feet. I sighed that it wasn't so cramped anymore.

"Welcome, I guess you would say." He said.

"Welcome to what?" I said confused.

"I came here the other night with your brother. Every night, around the same time I suppose, people walk past with bodies under blankets. I have been watching ever since I arrived here."

"How did you even know about the vents?" I asked.

"I felt a draft the first night. Looked under my bed. There it was." I nodded.

"What now?" I asked.

"I assuming they already are on the hunt for you, so you can't leave anytime soon. I'm going to leave soon to go get Thomas. We are going to go explore what lies beyond the door down there." He said motioning his head down.

I nodded again.

"What was-" I got cut off by Aris putting his hand on my mouth. He put his fingers to his lips. I gave him a questionable look. He pointed down. I looked down to see Janson with two guards.

"She couldn't have just escaped. We have high surveillance. I need to talk to Dr. Ava Paige about this." He said groaning. I gasped slightly causing Aris to put his hand around my mouth again.

Janson seemed to notice. He began to stop and look around. Aris began to slowly back up, and I followed his actions. Janson looked up and I put my head in Aris's shoulder. I made my breathing slow and stopped moving.

Aris and I peaked to see Janson move his gaze from the ceiling back to the floor. He put his hands on his head and began to shake his head and groan.

"When I get my hands on this girl, she is gonna wish she never ran away." He said and walked away with the two guards. I gave a worried sigh with my head still on Aris's shoulder.

"You'll be fine. I'm pretty sure everyone your friends with will protect you." He said confidently. I gave a weak smile.

"Thanks for doing this. Tommy must really trust you, you know that right?" I told him.

"He wants to get out, so do I." He replied simply. I was beginning to like Aris. He wasn't as bad as I made him to be. To bad he didn't end up in our Glade. He was going to be a good friend to have.

"I'm going to go back to get Tommy." He said after a few minutes. I nodded.

"I hope we can get out by tomorrow. I don't know how much longer I can put up with WICKED and their games." He said and began to crawl.

"Oh! If I'm not back by the time people walk past with two bodies, try to find your way back."

"Ok. I'll tell Tommy your coming."

"Thanks." And with that, he was on his way.

"Thomas?"

"Lucy? Are you ok? Is Aris still there? What-"

"Slow down I'm fine. Aris is on his way back to come and get you. Apparently you two are going to go explore something."