1. Call Me "Bucky"

Setting: CA The First Avenger

You stood amongst the chattering soldiers and nurses that had somehow crammed themselves into a bustling crowd in hopes to congratulate the Captain America for his victories at HYDRA's base.

You were rather new to the whole scene; you'd only recently been assigned as a nurse on base. If you were to be completely honest with yourself, you didn't have the slightest idea why they had selected you for this job. Needles were just not your thing. However, you'd accepted the job knowing you'd earn a fair wage that would hopefully help you pay for some sort of college in the near future.

Everyone was eagerly trying to shake the super soldier's hand, to get even just a nod of approval from the man. You knew he was of great importance to the face of the war and all, but the man in red, white, and blue wasn't the man who caught your attention.

Instead, your gaze landed on a soldier to the Captain's right, his face in need of a scrubbing. The mysterious soldier had the beginnings of a five o'clock shadow and the most captivating eyes you had ever seen. They were even bluer than the sky above, if that were even possible. He stood still, a forced smile gracing his dirty, yet angelic face as he watched his friend receive the praise of their fellow soldiers. He seemed unnoticed by everyone else and you assumed it must have been hard to live in the shadow of a super soldier.

As the crowd swarmed around Captain America and his men, you tore your gaze away from the handsome soldier and began heading back to the infirmary. It was almost as if everyone had forgotten about the fact that the war wasn't over yet and there were many soldiers still in pain. You might not have been the best at your job, but you truly wanted to help as many people as you could.

Just as you broke through the tail end of the crowd, a single hand took hold of your forearm, causing you to spin around on the heels of your feet.

"Excuse y—" Your face flamed red as you found yourself face to face with the very soldier you'd just been eyeing. He was even more beautiful up close, despite his dirty appearance.

"I believe you're forgetting something, ma'am," the blue-eyed man's lips formed a lopsided, cheeky smile.

Your eyebrows furrowed in confusion and you tilted your head sideways, trying to understand what exactly he meant.

"And what would that be?" You folded your arms over your chest as soon as he'd released his light grip on your arm.

"Well, leaving without thanking me for my valiant efforts against the bad guys." The soldier smirked. For a split second, you couldn't tell if he was being serious or joking with you; his mischievous facial expression was too difficult to figure out.

"I'm just pullin' your leg, doll." He chuckled, holding out his calloused hand for you to shake. "The name's James," he smiled to himself, realizing he'd unintentionally made a rhyme, "but you can call me Bucky."

You unfolded your arms from your chest and took his hand in yours, shaking it firmly. "I'm (y/n)," you replied, your painted red lips forming a soft smile.

"Wow, (y/n), you've got a strong handshake there." Bucky raised his eyebrows, quite surprised that such a sweet looking gal like you had the potential to crush the bones in his fingers. For some reason, it only intrigued him more.

"Nice to meet you, Sergeant," you laughed while arching a brow. It only seemed fit to call him that; everything on base was supposed to be done formally and you didn't want to be scolded by an elder.

"'Sergeant'?" Bucky grinned, shaking his head in disapproval. "Call me Bucky. Please."

"Alright, Bucky." You smiled up at him, watching his face light up as if hearing you say his name was the sweetest sound he'd ever heard.

"Alright, (y/n)," Bucky smirked, taking your hand in his again. "Why don't you get me fixed up and I'll take you out on a date as soon as we win this war."

You cocked your head to the side, briefly examining the cuts and scrapes on his face. After all, this was your job, right? It only seemed fit to clean him up to prevent infection. Besides, you definitely didn't mind being in Bucky's presence for a bit longer.

"Can't say no to that, Sergea—Bucky," you corrected yourself, a single curl falling from your ponytail.

Bucky reached out with his free hand to brush the stray hair away, his lips pulling into a pleased smile.

"Then it's a date." He squeezed your hand before releasing it, then followed you towards the infirmary, not taking his eyes off of you for a second.