31. Forget Me (Part II)

Setting: TWS

Setting: TWS

You weren't sure how many days it had been since you'd been pulled out of your car by the man with the metal arm. The only things that made you believe it actually happened were the two injuries that you had gotten when someone had hit your car.

You stood in front of the mirror in your tiny bathroom, examining the wounds on your head and cheek. They were sensitive to the touch, but the doctor had only given the gash on your head stitches. She said that the cut to your cheek would take a while to heal on its own, and there wasn't really anything she could do for it.

Ironically, she couldn't cure the other pain you felt, either—the aching feeling in your heart.

James Barnes had hurt you, but not in the way of physical pain. He had barely mumbled a few words to you, words that you couldn't get out of your head. You couldn't get him out of your head.

"I'm afraid I know about as much as myself as you do." He said.

"But we're strangers, so I don't know you."

"Exactly."

You looked down into the sink, a drop of blood falling and landing in the basin. You brought your hand up to your head, unaware that you'd pulled a few of your stitches loose. You pulled your hand away, red coating your fingertips. Leaning over the sink, you grabbed a hand towel and held it to your head with your clean hand, then turned the faucet on and ran cold water over the other hand to wash the blood away.

You left the bathroom in search of your car keys, still holding the towel to your head. Grabbing them off of the table, you opened the door of your apartment and left, scurrying down the staircase. You were walking so quickly, your eyes on your feet, that you nearly ran into a man on the stairs.

"Are you okay?" The man asked quietly, his voice sounding slightly familiar, though you couldn't see his face because of his baseball cap, and because he was a few steps below you.

"I'm fine. I just pulled a few stitches loose, so I'm going down to the hospital to get fixed up." You told him as you stood idle a few steps above him.

"You probably shouldn't drive like this." He replied, his voice still low.

You narrowed your eyes at him, taking notice of a few strands of hair that had fallen loose from the knot he had tied in his hair at the back. He looked up slightly, the baseball cap still leaving his face in the shadows, except for his lips.

"James?" You stepped down one stair, catching his eyes as he looked up at you and pulled to baseball cap off.

It was him. It was James Barnes, a man you thought you'd never see again.