48. Keep Me in Your Thoughts

Setting: After Civil War

"James Buchanan Barnes, please rise."

You sucked in a breath. This could not be happening.

"Steven Grant Rogers, please rise."

All of this was wrong. Everyone in the room knew it, too.

Tony Stark sat off to the side, bruised and battered from the fight days before. His lips formed a frown as he watched Steve stand as directed.

"Gentlemen, we're here today under unfortunate circumstances," an elder man in a black suit spoke, his voice rough. "Mr. Rogers, you are going to answer some questions for me."

Steve nodded.

"Steve, you don't have to tell him anything—"

"You, Mr. Barnes, you're going to keep your mouth shut until called upon." The man shot Bucky a glare.

"Is it true that your friend and partner in recent crime is—"

You could not let this stranger's comment go unacknowledged, "They're hardly criminals, sir. They've done nothing wrong."

"Murder, Miss (Y/L/N). That is the highest crime. Sit down."

You took your seat reluctantly. The Bucky you knew and the Bucky that killed Tony Stark's parents were not the same person. This Bucky did not deserve to take punishment for something he was brainwashed and forced to do.

You watched Bucky struggle for months with his past. The things he's done changed him. Scarred him. That was punishment in itself.

"I'll repeat myself. Mr. Rogers, is it true that James Barnes was the man who murdered a Howard and Maria Stark?"

"Yes."

"You've seen the tape. Everyone has seen it. Why are you asking Steve?" Bucky nearly snapped. The guilt was there in his eyes, you could see it.

"Mr. Barnes, this isn't a question of your guilt. You are guilty. This is a question of Steven's honor."

"Mr. Stark, please join us." The man called forth Tony.

Tony took a stand beside Steve, but kept distance between them. You found it hard to believe that they were once on the same side. . .friends, even.

"Tony, we have what we need to lock Mr. Barnes up in a containment unit that neither he or the remaining Avengers could break through."

"Is that necessary? Really? What happened was not Bucky's doing! It was Hydra's." You spoke again, only to receive a glance from the man.

Your words were easily ignored.

"So do I. So, why are we here?" Tony finally had something to say for the first time today.

"Laws were broken Tony. Specifically, the accords. That is why we are here."

"Then why the hell are we discussing the murder of my parents?"

You swallowed. There was nothing you could do from here but watch these grown men tear one another down or come to some kind of an agreement.

"Just setting my facts straight." The man replied.

"No, you're being a dick." Bucky spat.

"We're done here," Steve said firmly.

"Think before you do anything you will regret, Mr. Rogers. I have papers here that allow me to escort you, and your friend," he glanced at Bucky, "out in handcuffs."

"I have one hand, idiot." Bucky chuckle dryly.

You held back a laugh. As if handcuffs would prevent Captain America and Winter Soldier from causing any damage.

"I'm glad you find humor in this situation, Mr. Barnes. Maybe that sense of humor will keep you company in your cell."

Tony shook his head, "No one is locking anyone away, Hal. It's over. And so is whatever the hell this is."

___

"What was all of that about yesterday?" You huffed, leaning into Bucky.

"Bullshit and a waste of time."

Bucky stroked a piece of your hair gently. You watched Steve pace across the room. This whole thing with Tony had devastated him. You could see it in his eyes.

"Are you sure about this?" Steve looked to Bucky.

You sat up, Bucky's hand falling from your hair.

"I can't trust my own mind," Bucky admitted.

You furrowed your brows, "What are you talking about?"

"So, until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head. . ." Bucky looked at you, sadness in his eyes, "I think going back under is the best thing. For everybody."

You shook your head, catching glimpse of what was behind the two of you. A cryogenic chamber. How had you not noticed it until now?

"No, you can't. Buck, you've been good."

Steve clenched his jaw.

"It's not the best thing. Not for me," you fought back a tear.

"This isn't about you, love. It's about me. I need to be fixed and no matter how much you wish you could, you can't fix me."

"Is this because of Tony? You're scared of Tony?"

"There's not many people I'm scared of, (Y/N). I'm scared of what I am capable of. And what I might do to you, or Steve, or anyone else. I can't be trusted."

So this was how it was going to be. And you had no say in any of it.

"Here," Bucky spoke again before you had the chance, though there wasn't that much you could think to say.

He went on to wrap something around your neck—a necklace. He clasped it shut and you looked down at the silver chain dangling against your skin.

James was written in silver cursive like a charm on the necklace.

"Keep me in your thoughts, okay?"

You nodded, "Of course."

"Promise me two things, doll."

"What Buck?"

"Promise me you won't get into any trouble."

You wiped a stray tear from your cheek, nodding, "Okay."

"And promise me that when it's time for me to come out, you'll be the first person I see when I open my eyes."

You leaned in and pressed your lips to his, sweet and salty from your tears. You weren't sure if you could promise him that. You didn't know when he would come out or what would happen between now and then. Everything could change.

"I'll be there," you said anyways.

If it would give him peace of mind then you would promise him that, and you would do anything to ensure that you wouldn't break that promise.

___

It's been a while, guys. I'm sorry for that. I'm currently on vacation and I just had the idea to write something. My writing skills are a bit rusty since it's been so many months, but hopefully you can forgive me for that. Hope you all are having a great year so far. — Mar