Half a life

------- 2 years later -------

"Good job Mary, keep focusing." I smiled softly at the small girl next to me. Mary was a rather small child. No taller than my elbow, a good head below her peers. She was a shy child to say the least but she had a wonderful gift, the gift of healing.

Wrinkles formed between her brows as her hands began to glow  brighter. We spent a few hours a week in the clinic. I allowed her to practice on some of the smaller injuries that came in but mostly had her healing whatever injured animals had been found in the forest. Today we had a rather large squirrel that had somehow injured its front leg to the extent that it was unable to climb the forest trees. Mary had tears in her eyes when she saw the poor thing withering on the ground and nearly sprinted back here.

A drop of sweat began to form on Mary's forehead and I knew she was beginning to reach a new limit, she had advanced greatly over the past few months. "Mary let me look over him real quick, okay?" Mary let out a shaky breath and nodded before stepping away, her piercing green eyes trained on the still creature. We had given it a small sedative to calm it down and it seemed to be resting easily. I glanced first at the animal's exterior and saw that the misshapenness of its leg was now gone. I focused my energy on my hand and then place it over the squirrel's body. From what I could tell Mary had done a marvelous job at restoring and repairing all the injured ligaments and had properly set the leg. It took her about two hours but I was proud, this is beyond what I expected of her. I turned to an anxious Mary.

"You did very well Mary, he should be ready to go home now." I smiled as brightly as I could at her and Mary's face transformed from apprehension to pure joy. She leapt forward and embraced my waist with as much force as I figured a 10 year old could muster up. I lost my breath for a minute but rubbed her back none the less, her blonde tendrils briefly got caught in my fingers, I wasn't always the most affectionate of people. I called it a day with Mary and she ran off to return her newly healed patient to the forest.

When the infirmary door closed and the sound of her footsteps were long gone I fell into the chair beside me and sighed. Exhaustion was taking over my body as it usually does and I felt in need of a nap. I opted to not disrupt my sleep schedule further and forced myself out of the chair after another 5 minutes and made my way to the coffee machine by my desk. I placed my favorite mug below the dispenser and added both creamer and sugar before allowing the machine to begin pouring.

Fatigue has become an almost constant since the day my mate died. Wolves aren't meant to live with half a soul. It's possible but does not come without its difficulties, I can only shift on occasions now. This saddened me greatly at first but after realizing how little energy I actually had now shifting became the last thing on my mind. I watched with blank eyes as the dark brown liquid began to pour into my plain baby blue mug. When it was done pouring I sat down and took a quick sip. I hissed when my tongue burned instantly.

I placed my cup down carefully and focused the energy needed to heal my minor burn. At least my healing abilities weren't lost along with my mate. I tried to smile about this small relief but couldn't. I had sobbed in private, I had mourned quietly, I closed myself off for a long time, but then I saw how I was negatively affecting others and put in more of an effort to seem "okay."

I sat and stared at my coffee blankly for I don't know how long but by the time a quick knock resounded off my door the steam from my drink had long passed and the mug was cold to the touch, I drank it anyways. "Come in."

"Emily?" I straightened in my chair and forced a small smile to my face as the alpha's daughter entered my office, Jasmine. Jasmine was always a bit smaller than the other wolves but held her own nicely and was very much so respected, she was kind always but capable of being stern when needed. She had long black hair that waved beautifully like her mother's and the deepest ocean blue eyes. Rosemary and I had spent quite a bit of time with her growing up.