A Future Before A Past

"Sunday."

"Isn't that tomorrow?"

"Yes, and?"

"I don't mean to be difficult that but that's hardly any better than tonight." Cain let out a growl with a clenched jaw and my eyes couldn't help but wander to his arms. They laid tensely on his desk, leading to a pen in his hand that looked as if it were about to join its fallen comrade in the trashcan nearby. Cain and I were having "the talk". Discussing when he would mark me and when we would mate. My cheeks were burning when he first brought up the topic and now my heart was beating nervously as my mate made true on his earlier promise that he would have me marked within the week. Within less than 24 hours seemed a little too sudden to me though...

"Emily." His voice was harsh and I realized he had been trying to speak to me. I heard a snap and the second pen of our meeting was now dead. He tossed it in the trashcan and grabbed a new one. Maybe some steal pens would be a good Christmas present in the future... "Emily!"

"I'm sorry." I gave a slight bow of my head and bit my lip nervously. This conversation was necessary but I thought we would have it at a later point in our relationship, not on the third day of knowing each other when we've yet to have a real conversation. "How would Wednesday be?" I made eye contact with him again and his eyes were nearly black.

"Not soon enough, my wolf wants to mark you now." My own wolf was very happy with this idea and a part of my human self was too but I knew that emotionally I needed more time. I wanted to at least have some bond with him prior. "Monday is the longest I could wait, I don't see why this is such an issue to you. Unless you plan to abandon our bond we will be mating very soon, does the date truly matter? Our bond will mean nothing more to me whether it be made tomorrow, next week or next month. The only part of me truly pushing for this is my wolf. Unmarked you are a distraction to me, a hindrance. Is that okay with you, to be a problem to the very mate you've been longing for all these years?"

I felt myself recoil at his words. Was I out of line? He has made it very clear that I am here out of necessity only. A pack can not run without a Luna. "And you do understand that if you and I are not to complete the mating process that there are other females that could be chosen for Luna. There were actually quite a few up for consideration before you came." My heart ached tremendously at his words and I could see him flinch slightly also feeling the pain. I looked into his eyes. His features were that of stone and I wondered when I would feel the same warmth that had brought me back from death just days ago.

Cain stood from his chair across from me and came around to my side of the desk. He turned my chair around so I was now facing him and lowered his head to be level with mine. My heart jolted and began beating erratically. His face remained emotionless but his eyes were still dark. I watched as they wavered between a black abyss and a deep sea of navy. He began leaning closer and I could feel the warmth of his breath fan against my face. My eyes fluttered and my heart warmed from his proximity as his scent washed over me, a citrusy musk. I took a greedy breath and tried my best to stay composed.

Cain lifted a hand and tangled it within my blonde locks and gave it a tug forcing my head back. I made a noise similar to a growl and he responded with one louder. I felt embarrassed and nervous to say the least. I don't understand Cain, I don't know what he's feeling, or why he's doing this, or why-

His lips touched my neck and I couldn't hold in the soft moan that escaped my lips. He began feathering kisses along my neck and I squirmed in my seat trying to maintain any semblence of control. My wolf wanted to be let loose and wanted even more to be able to make love to the man in front of us. But I didn't know the man in front of us, I didn't know my mate. He was with me, but not. He's been nothing but distant and cold since I've gotten here and I can't believe the man that sent enough emotion to me to cause me to come back from the brink of death is the same man in front of me now. I felt gentle tears begin to stream from my eyes and when they began to trail to my neck Cain halted his onslaught of kisses.