What We Needed

The car ride home was silent. The goodbye to the other girls was very short, everyone wanted to get home. We were currently in a van on our way back to Fire Crest. Amber and Adam were talking softly in the back row of the van and exchanging kisses while Cain and I sat in the middle row. His eyes had been dark when we first reunited and they remained so now too.

"When we get back you're resting in my room." I nodded and squeezed his hand. I was afraid to let go of him at all. My head stayed rested on Cain's shoulder and his arm was wrapped around my waist. I was no longer wearing the dress that reminded me of that terrible place and was instead wearing Cain's shirt. I wanted to rid myself of that place completely, sadly some reminders would always remain.

"Does it hurt?" I knew what he was referring to. The angry X on my neck was mostly healed but it was something strange. It hurt my whole body. It was as if it were trying to destroy any bond I had with Cain.

"Yeah..." Cain tugged my body closer into his side and kissed the top of my head.

"We'll make this better." I hoped he was right.

The drive took about three hours. I fell in and out of sleep throughout most of it but my nerves were still high. I felt like any moment we would be snatched up again by Michael. I was afraid. Cain lightly moved my shoulder when we arrived at the pack house, I tried to appear more alert.

"Emily, we're here." I looked around more and the pack house was as I left it. Beautiful and full of life. A few children were in the backyard and I could see them peering at the three black vans curiously.

"Are... are there a lot of people inside right now?" I felt nervous.

"Not at the moment. Many of them are running patrol, I was gone for a while. Paul has been taking care of the pack for us." I tried to smile but it fell weak on my face. I looked into Cain's eyes and felt a bit better.

"Did his son have his birthday yet?" Cain smiled and squeezed my side.

"Not yet, still another week or two." I smiled lightly and nodded. I looked back to the house and the children that had been there were now gone. Likely sent away for the time being. "Come on, let's get inside."

The door opened beside me and I jumped in my seat. Cain growled and pulled me closer to him, I tried my best to calm my frantic heart but I was struggling terribly. It was just one of the warriors trying to be helpful but the sudden movement surprised me.

"Leave us." Cain's voice was dark and filled with venom. For a second I forgot it was him. I forgot it was Cain. I forgot it was my mate. I started trying to move out of Cain's grasp but it was like steal.

The area was quickly cleared and it was just Cain and I remaining in the car. Cain turned me so I was facing him and his hands ran up and down my arms. My breathing ran fast and I couldn't grasp my bearings. I tried looking into Cain's eyes and they were still dark, fear sparked within me.

"No! No, no, no. Please-"

"Emily, it's okay. It's me, it'll be okay. I'm here." I could hear Cain but I wasn't recognizing anything around me.

"I'm not safe, I'm not safe. I- I can't be here. Nowhere is safe, you're not safe, I'm not-"

"Emily!" I whimpered and looked at Cain again, his eyes were dark blue. That dark blue I imagined in my 'room' for so long. He was here. Those deep blue eyes were swallowing me whole, engulfing me, devouring me. Cain put his arms around me and pulled me into his chest. He cooed and mumbled words softly into my ear and ran his fingers through my hair. "You're safe, you're here with me. You're home."