Lost Without Her (Cain's POV)

She was still, too still. Every once in a while she would start panting and would whimper in pain. I could feel it, like a constant aching in my chest. I could only imagine what it felt like for her.

"Cain..." I growled hearing the voice at the door and saw Erick. He looked nervous and rightfully so. I had banned anyone besides Dr. Smith and Jared from entering the room. The healer they had called over was an asshole with an ego bigger than he deserved, Jared was just as good if not better than him and he had more than an ounce of respect in him.

"Leave." I demanded and he flinched back but stayed in the doorway. "I said leave!" I looked away from Emily's withering frame and glared at Erick. He had pissed me off before and I was not in the mood to be pissed off again.

"I just wanted to bring you something, they said you hadn't eaten yet today." He held up a brown bag in one hand and I watched it tentatively before nodding. I was hungry. He placed the bag down on the table next to me and began pulling out a large sandwich, a bag of chips and apple.

"Thanks." I grumbled and grabbed the wrapped sandwich looking it over in my hands. Erick still stood next to me and his eyes were briefly on Emily before he looked at me again and then bowed his head.

"I also brought you this." He pulled off his back a backpack and from it pulled out a canister, a water bottle and a small box and fork. "Coffee, water and this..." He opened the box and inside was a slice of cake slightly overturned but nothing too damaging. It smelled of lemon.

"It's the same cake Emily got you a few days ago. I really shouldn't have done what I did. I apologized to Emily." He placed the slice down next to me and I stared at it. "I also ate the rest of the slice she got you, so I kind of owe you. Sorry." He tried to say with a smile but I couldn't return it. There was a gap in me that no amount of food could fill, I felt empty.

"I'll leave you alone now." Erick looked crest fallen and a small wave of guilt washed over me and I knew if Emily were awake she'd say something to me, something that would make everything okay.

"You can stay." I said and he halted in his journey to the door. He didn't question my sudden acceptance of his presence and hurriedly sat in the seat beside me but scooted back so he was further away from Emily. I couldn't stand anyone being near her right now but I'd accept Erick being here.

I ate the sandwich he brought as well as the chips and apple. I drank a majority of the water but saved some for later and then looked at the cake thinking of her. She was right next to me but felt so far away. Our bond was so faint, hardly there and it scared me as much as it did when she was taken. If anything this was worse, there was nothing I could do.

"Sorry the cake got turned over a bit. I tripped on my way here." I nodded at him and opened the box and took a bite from the cake. It was good but it wasn't the same as before. It was strange, when Em gave it to me it tasted like the best cake I'd had in years but now... it was just a cake.

I ate a few more bites to see if the taste changed but it didn't. I was going to offer it to Erick to finish but the look on his face told me he hoped I would finish it, an acceptance of his apology it seemed. For him, and for Em, I finished the cake and thanked him again for it.

"Thank you Erick." We sat in the quiet for a while longer, the only sound being Emily's heart rate which was being tracked by the machine. The beeping was annoying at first but now it was soothing. It assured me she was still alive. Dr. Smith came in a few minutes later, nodded at Erick but said nothing and check Emily's vitals and Jared spent the next half an hour working on Emily. When he was done they both left to return again later.

"What have they been saying about her condition?" Erick asked carefully and surprisingly I responded calmly.

"They say she could wake up any day now or stay in a coma like this for anywhere up to a month." Or worse, she could never wake up. I wanted to say she was looking better than she did when I first saw her but it's only been three days, it was too soon to really tell.

"She'll pull through, she loves you too much to leave you behind." Erick stated and I felt my chest constrict. I looked to Emily waiting to see the machines flash and her body convulse but this one was just me. It was guilt eating at my heart. She's been nothing but caring towards me and I can't even get the words out to describe how I feel to her.

"I care about her, a lot." I managed to get out and Erick gave me a sympathetic look.

"I know, and so does she." He reassured and I managed some form of a smile.

"Thank you Erick... sorry if I'm an ass sometimes. Em wants me to try to be nicer." I smiled for real this time and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and stroked her cheek. Sparks dance under my fingertips and it relaxed me.

"Bless her soul." I heard Erick mumble and I glared at him as he raised his hands up with a grin. "Just saying, somebody had to tell you." I continued to glare at Erick but soon it was impossible. He always had a way of lightening any mood. It annoyed me to no end as nothing was ever serious with him but for now I was grateful.

"Alright, Erick don't get too-" My voice caught in my throat as Emily's body violently lifted off the table and the machines around her started going haywire. One was beeping, one was flashing and then suddenly the distinct sound of a flat line rang throughout the room. Her body fell back onto the bed and everything in the room felt frozen. I didn't realize it was actually happening and I hadn't been breathing until the room became flooded with nurses, Dr. Smith and Jared.

I didn't fight Erick as he pulled me from the room, I didn't growl when they began shocking her and pumping at her lifeless body and I didn't shake off the hands of my father as he wrapped an arm around me. I was right next to her and couldn't do a thing.

The wait felt like days but it was only an hour. When Dr. Smith emerged from her room I could only look at him hoping to get good news. I couldn't handle losing her. It couldn't happen. There was still so much left I needed to show her, let her know, experience with her.

"Alpha..." Dr. Smith sounded grim and my heart sank. I waited for a glint in his eyes, a quirk of the lip, any indication that he may have good news. There were none of these things. "I'm sorry to tell you this but the Luna..."

I had failed her, again.