Stay Strong, Be Smart

We drove for hours. The sky outside had long turned dark and we were but a vehicle among many traveling in the night. Our captures had yet to speak to us since we were taken and I wondered what our experience would be like now.

Amber had been contacting Adam since we left and tried to tell him where we were going but honestly we had no idea. The window was hard to see much out of. A few car lights every once in a while and an occasional glance of a tree. We would have tried breaking free of the vehicle but the many scents of the area told us that we were in human territory now. We couldn't risk causing a scene and exposing werewolf society to the world. Nor could we risk being spotted by hunters, they'd kill us on the spot.

Cain and I still could not communicate through our minds but I continually pushed for it. I needed it, I needed his voice, his comfort. He sent me many feelings trying to assure me that I would be okay but it wasn't the same.

"It's because you haven't mated." Amber spoke.

"What?" I stopped my efforts to focus on Amber, I felt exhausted and a headache was forming.

"You can't mind link anymore because you're not mated. The mark lets you do it for a while but the longer you wait to mate the less effective the mark. It'll still be there physically but its effect will be less."

"Are you saying it's as if I'm not even marked?"

"No, not exactly. You'll still have a portion of Cain's scent, that mark on your shoulder and a few of the perks like a stronger bond and increased strength. You just don't get to mind link and those little sparks? They may become a bit less and your reliance on each other may become less intense." My head dropped.

"I'm definitely not feeling that last one, I want Cain more than anything right now. I just couldn't stand the idea of all those pack members being hurt."

"Do you love Cain?" I lifted my head and stared at Amber shocked.

"Love? No but...." I looked out our tiny window and caught a fleeting glimpse of some stars. They lived short lives. Appearing then bursting but their image is long lasting reaching us thousands of years later. "I care about him greatly. He is my mate but he's also becoming my friend. I waited so long to find him, thought so much about being with him and now... I have him. He's not perfect but nobody is and I never expect him or our relationship to ever be anything like out of a fairytale."

"But?" I smiled and looked at her.

"But I'd sure like to see what life with my soulmate is like. Cain's no prince charming but he is my other half. He's everything I'm not and hopefully I'm everything he needs." There was a bit of silence between us for a bit and then Amber spoke.

"Cain told me what Sophie said. He asked my opinion of you and wanted to know if I felt the same way as Sophie."

"And?" I looked at Amber genuinely curious. I treasured her opinion.

"I told him I thought you were stuck up, privileged and weak." I felt my heart sink but smiled lightly happy that she was honest with me.

"Thank you for the honesty." I looked away but Amber continued.

"I also told him that you're more suited to being his mate than I ever would have been."

"What?"

"I'm not going to lie to Cain, he's my friend and Alpha. I told him the truth, Sophie is a lying bitch and yeah you're weak and yeah you came off as stuck up and privileged when I first met you but you're... not that bad. Your weak, like hella weak seriously. Train with me sometime, Beatrice is not pushing you hard enough. But you're not stuck up, slightly privileged maybe but not stuck up. You're shy and nervous and don't seem that confident but you're changing. You need to talk to more pack members though. A lot of them think you don't care because you only hang out with Beatrice and hide inside the pack house."