I am His and He is Mine

The paper below me crinkled in response to my fidgeting. Any and all confidence I once held was gone as Cain looked more nervous but also more excited than ever before. His fingers stayed laced with my own, his thumb making circles on the back of my hand in a comforting motion.

"He's sure taking a long time." Cain's voice sounded gruff as his eyes continually darted between the door of our examination room and the clock on the wall. The sound of the hands ticking made me all too aware of how slow time was really passing.

"These things take a while. He'll be back shortly." I squeezed Cain's hand with my own and the stiffness of his joints seemed to loosen. I noticed his lips still sat at a downward angle that pulled at my heart so I poked his cheek. "Come on turn that frown upside down."

His lips tugged up in a small smile and he turned his head to try and playfully bite the tips of my fingers. I let out a light laugh and flicked his forehead in response. He growled lowly and grabbed my hand in his own placing a kiss on my knuckles.

"Are you nervous Cain?" He didn't respond verbally and instead only nodded. I sent what comfort I could through the bond trying to hold back my own nerves. My biggest fear at this point was disappointing Cain. I had come to terms with my potential pregnancy and by now I was honestly excited. To have a child with Cain... to make a family... it would be amazing.

At the sound of the door opening both of our gazes shot away from each other. Dr. Smith's expression was impossible to conceal and I felt my heart stop in my chest and then flutter to life again as Cain embraced me in his arms and kissed my neck affectionately. "Alpha and Luna, I'm happy to announce that you are indeed pregnant."

Tears sprang to my eyes and laughter bubbled from my throat as I hugged Cain in return and kissed every surface of his face that I could reach. Our bond shook between us growing and embracing us further through our child. We were going to be parents.

"Would you like to know the gender?" I couldn't nod my head quickly enough and Cain looked to be in agreement. "You will be having a happy, healthy boy."

"A boy?" Cain asked and when Dr. Smith nodded in return Cain stared down at my covered stomach and placed his hand above my small bump. "Will I be a able to be a good example for him? What if I'm to harsh? Or what if don't prepare him enough as alpha? What if he-"

"Cain!" I interrupted his rambling grasping his face between my hands. "You'll be the perfect father and you won't be doing it alone. I'll be there with you every step of the way. We're in this together." Cain ran his fingers through my hair and it was then I remembered Dr. smith was in the room grinning from ear to ear while pretending to scribble notes on his clipboard. I pulled away expecting Cain to do the same but he held me in place.

"Em." I searched his eyes and they held more love than I thought possible. "Thank you. I love you so much." I smiled leaning my forehead against his no longer caring if Dr. Smith could see.

"I love you too Cain, thank you for being the mate I've always needed." We kissed and every nervous feeling I had dissipated and I knew no matter what that we'd be alright because we had each other.

---

"Geez Henry slow down a little bit why don't you?" I huffed as I lifted my foot over a fallen branch. I'd have to ask Cain to move it off the path later.

"Come on you slow poke! Your young act like it!" Henry hobbled further up the path at an impressive speed and I couldn't help but smile. He worked so hard for this I'd let him call me whatever he wants on a day like today.

"I'm younger than you that's for sure." I grumbled and I heard Henry grumble some insult in response. "Look out honey, there are a lot of rocks up ahead." I held Don's small hand in my own and he squeezed it in response giving me a gap tooth smile.

It still baffled me how much he had grown in such a short period of time. He was only three but his alpha characteristics were already starting to show in the way he interacted with his friends while playing. Little Riley was his best friend and some part of me hoped they would one day be mate but I'd leave that up to them to figure out on their own.

I looked ahead and sighed in relief seeing the gap leading to the our destination. We reached the top and I took a deep breath and briefly rubbed my swollen stomach. Dr. Smith said a walk would be good for the baby but at this point I'd rather be carried back then walk the short distance.

"Hi dear... happy birthday. I brought you flowers." I looked up from my belly to see Henry smiling down fondly at his mate's grave. Two years ago he was able to walk here on his own for the very first time and it was both beautiful and tragic. It was as if his mate had come back to life and then died all over again but he got through it. Now he visits her every day without fail.

"Go give grandma your drawing Don." Don hurried to Henry's side and the older man wrapped his arm around his grandson as he passed over his drawing of our family and the pack house. Don started telling her a story about school and I could see Henry smiling fondly. My own heart fluttered and I still found it impossible to fathom how much unconditional love I had for my son. He was perfect.

I felt a presence behind me as a scent I loved so much infiltrated my senses. "I was worried you wouldn't be able to make it." I leaned back into Cain's chest and his arms circled around my waist supporting my bump with me.

"I was able to finish my meeting early, looks like I made it just in time." I turned my face towards his won and placed a kiss on his lips. He responded while placing a hand on my neck and I giggled as I felt him tickle the hairs of the nape of my neck. "Let's go say hi." Cain pulled me forward and we approached his mother's grave. We spoke with her about our lives, what was going on in the pack, who was with who and most importantly the name of our soon to be daughter. Delilah, just like Cain's mother.

Our family had some missing pieces but it felt whole. It wasn't always perfect but it felt like it. And we weren't always in agreement but there was always love and we were always happy. This was the family we had made and I loved it more than I thought possible. When I first met Cain I thought I'd never become his but now I was more than just his he was also mine and together it felt like nothing could destroy our love or our bond.

The End