A Proposition

A/N

I just wanted to say a quick thank you for all of the continued support throughout the process of writing this story. I've been trying to make something that others and I would be able to enjoy and it has taken much more out of me then I ever expected. It is a very amazing feeling I get whenever someone begins to read this story with me. Once again, thank you for all the support and continued reading, I can't wait to be able to share this with more people.

----

I didn't feel stronger the next morning, but I did feel more assured. Cain insisted that I stay under his watch throughout the next few days and truthfully I was grateful for it. Cain was a busy man though so his daily activities were now to be my own. I liked it better this way, there was more normalcy to it.

"Are you cold? I have some blankets stored in here if you need one." Cain began reaching into a drawer behind him and shuffling through many things that did not in any way resemble the sound of a blanket. I laughed lightly and marked my page in my book with a small notecard Cain had given me. I was back to my routine of reading different books from the pack library.

"I'm fine, but thank you." He closed the drawer and half smiled at me before looking around the room and then back at me again.

"What about food, are you hungry?"

"No, I'm still full from breakfast." He looked around once again as if searching for some other comfort to ask me about and it made me feel embarrassed but also happy that he cared.

"What about healing? Do you need any? The doctor said he could send someone by if you were in any pain." I debated this offer. I wasn't strong enough yet that I could completely heal myself or eliminate all pain. Not that I couldn't handle a bit of pain but I worried Cain could feel some of it too and he had too much on his plate to be dealing with any setbacks.

"That might be nice, thank you." Cain nodded and then his eyes glazed over for a few moments before returning to normal.

"A healer will be here shortly." I smiled at Cain and nodded and then returned to my book as I waited. Cain's pen returned to working on the page in front of him but the pauses between each stroke seemed to grow longer and longer until he was no longer writing. I felt eyes on me so I looked up once again to see that Cain was staring at me.

"Are you alright?" I felt concerned for Cain and put my book down on the couch I was currently laying on and sat up.

"Yeah I just..." Cain seemed lost for words and frustrated by it and began stroking his forehead with the thumb and index finger of his right hand. He looked stressed so I went to his desk, pulling a chair with me from the opposite side of it so I could sit beside him. Cain's actions screamed stress and anxiety so I laid my palms face up in front of him. He stopped the rubbing of his forehead and looked down at my hands.

"Do you remember? You once told me your parents would hold hands for hours and just enjoy each other's company. Last we tried it out I felt pretty calm." Cain smiled slightly and placed his own open palms on mine. I felt a wave of relaxation go through not only myself but Cain. It felt like that first morning stretch, completely blissful. Cain sighed and then interlaced our fingers and rubbed circles with his thumbs on the backs of my hands.

"Thanks Emily, it's just weird realizing I actually have you back. This sounds ridiculous but... I had multiple dreams about you being here in my office with me that I'm honestly just waiting for you to vanish and for me to wake up not knowing if you're alive or dead."