The Baby

"Do you see anything?" Cain questioned anxiously and the female pack doctor continued to run the probe of the sonogram machine along my stomach. The pack doctors were separate from the healers. They didn't have the same abilities that healers did and therefore required a different set of medical training and mostly worked in the pack houses or hospitals instead of out on the battlefield.

"Nothing yet Alpha." She responded respectfully.

"Please, keep looking." He urged staring deeply at the screen.

"Cain... it's hardly been 24 hours. We're not going to see anything." I tried not to sound anxious but really I was. What if I was pregnant? Cain would be ecstatic but I was terrified.

"Unfortunately Alpha I have to agree with the Luna. It takes about 5 days before a pregnancy test will read positive for a werewolf and then another month before anything can be seen on a sonogram. Then, in two more months the pup is ready to be born." I felt my hands start to sweat, three months from now I could be a mother.

"Right, you're right." Cain mumbled to himself and placed a hand on my still flat stomach. He had rushed me here first thing this morning to get checked and demanded a sonogram. There really was no way to turn him down and now he looked defeated not seeing anything on the screen. It broke my heart, he really wanted this.

"I can give you a take home pregnancy test now or you could come back in a few days?" She offered. Cain looked to me for my preference.

"I think I'd prefer the take home test." She nodded and left the room to go get the test and paper work. When the door closed the room felt extremely quiet, I didn't feel ready to talk.

"Emily... I'm sorry." Cain said avoiding eye contact. His eyes were still staring at the empty screen beside the bed I was laying on. "I know you don't want this. Of course I do but you..." He ran a hand over his face and I could feel his distress through the bond.

"Cain, come here." I sat up and opened my arms to him and he complied stepping between my legs and wrapping his arms around me. He made my own nerves go away and I felt more assured. Cain nuzzled my neck with his face and I sighed feeling content. "We don't know anything yet, let's wait a few days and... see what happens."

"What if you're pregnant?" He asked and I could see the uncertainty in his eyes.

"If I'm pregnant... then I'm pregnant. And we'll figure it out. It'd be sooner than anticipated but we'll make it work." Cain's eyes lit up and he looked down at me.

"You'd be okay with having my pup?" He asked and I smiled.

"I'd love to have your pup, it's just the timing that makes me nervous." I admitted. "So Cain if I'm not pregnant, as of right now, I don't want to start trying. I don't want to hurt your feelings but that's how I honestly feel." I rubbed his neck with my hands and stared into his eyes. They were a storm of emotions that I just wanted to guide him through.

"And if you're pregnant right now we'll have the pup?" Cain asked and I smiled lightly still nervous.

"Yes, we'll have the pup." He smiled and held me close.

"Okay, we'll just have to wait and see then."

After getting the test and signing all the necessary paperwork we left the pack hospital and headed back to the house down the road. The test felt like a heavy weight in my hands and I was grateful for the blank white bag the doctor had given me to put it in. The last thing I wanted was for everyone to start thinking I was pregnant and getting excited for something that might not happen.