Chapter 2

Emma went around town looking for any place that would hire her. She needed a job if she was going to live in Storybrooke. She came across a gas station that looked new to her. There was a help wanted sign in the window so she went in. She went up to the woman behind the counter.

"May I help you?" She asked. Her name tag said Wendy.

"Um, yea. Do you have any job applications?" Emma asked.

Wendy turned around and picked up a piece of paper. She slid it to Emma. "Just fill that out, bring it back, and then you will get a call if you got the job."

"Thanks." Emma said with a smile. She hopped in her car and was looking over the application when there was a tap on the window. She looked over and Killian was standing there. She opened the door and got out.

"Hi, love." He said scratching behind his ear.

'He still does that when he's nervous.' She thought. "Hey."

"What are you doing?"

"Getting a job application. I need one if I'm going to stay here."

His face lit up. "You're staying in Storybrooke?"

"Yea. I just need to move around here. I don't know what's going to happen if Neal finds me."

Just as he said that, a cop car sped down the road with its lights and siren on. It stopped right in front of the gas station and a man stepped out. Emma knew who it was immediately.

"Graham!" She said running up to him. They hugged and Killian clenched his fists.

"Emma, I have news. Neal and Will were seen last night. I was patrolling the town border last night and caught them as they were coming into town." He stepped aside and saw they both were in the back seat and were staring at her. The window was cracked and Neal was calling for her. She backed up and Killian wrapped his arms around her protectively.

"It's okay, love. I'll protect you." He whispered in her ear.

"It won't be long Emma. Enjoy your freedom while you can." Neal called out.

Emma backed up even further into Killian's arms and buried her head in his chest. Graham ran down to the car and started it up.

"I'll see you later, Em. I have to get these guys to the state prison." He said.

She nodded and watched the car leave. "They'll be back. They always come back."

"No. No they won't." Killian reached behind him and pulled out a hand gun. "I'll protect you if they are stupid enough to come after you again."

"How are you going to do that when I'm at home?"

He smiled. "Brings back old memories, doesn't it? Move in with me."

She looked up at him finally realizing that she was still in his hug. "I don't know."

"Just like old times. We'll take it slow. One step at a time."

"I'm sorry, but I don't think I want a relationship yet."

"I'm not asking for that. Trust me."

"I've always trusted you."

"Good. Let's go shopping."

"Shopping? I don't have any money."

"I'll pay. Don't worry, you can stay with me until you get back on your feet." He got in the car that Emma was borrowing on the passengers side and she got in on the drivers side. "Who's car is this?"

"It's one of the ones that Victor owns. I guess being a doctor pays off."

"You know, Swan, I have your bug."

She looked over at him. "You have my bug? Where is it?"

"In the garage at my house. It's been there since I came to town. I knew you would be back. That's why I kept it."

She smiled and kissed his cheek. "Thank you, Killian."

"Aye. Shall we go?"

He led her to his house and She stepped out of the car. Emma couldn't believe her eyes. It was her parent's house from when she was growing up. Her mouth dropped open.

"You- you-" She tried to say. She couldn't say how amazed she was.

"Yep. I bought your old house. It just felt like home. I'll give you the tour." He said with a smile.

She ran up the old steps up to the porch. Killian dug through his pocket for his key and unlocked the door. Emma went in and there were boxes everywhere.

"Be careful where you step, love. It's a mess. As you can see."

She shook her head. "I can't believe you bought this house. Why?"

"Memories." He said with a smirk. "Let's get your car and go shopping."

She nodded and walked out. She followed him to the garage and her yellow Volkswagen Beetle sat there in the two car garage. She went over to the door and opened it. The keys sat on the seat.

"I can't tell you how happy I am." Emma said sliding into the car.

"The best for my Swan." He said with a smile. "Now when we get there, buy whatever you want."

"I can't take advantage of your money like that."

"Still stubborn I see."

"Killian, I-"

"Just drive it's fine. We'll think of something."

She nodded and started the car. After spending a few hours at the mall, Emma got her wardrobe back. Killian got an air mattress so he wouldn't have to sleep on the floor and so Emma could take the couch if she decided to stay. He grabbed her bags and carried them inside.

"Have you decided if you were going to stay with me?" He asked.

She nodded. "I won't be a burden. It will be like I'm not even here."

"But I want to know that you're here and safe with me. Baby steps."

"Are you sure you want me here?"

"Of course." He held out his arms and she walked into them. "I missed you, love. I can't tell you how long it took for me to stop setting two plates at the table for dinner or when I started locking the door again. I always had a feeling that you were going to come back to me."

She pulled away and he saw the tears in her eyes. "I missed you too. I..." She trailed off. She couldn't bring herself to tell him that she loves him.

"It's okay. You're here now, and that's what matters most."

She wrapped her arms around him again. She couldn't shake the feeling that she had when she was with him.