Chapter 10

🚨🚨🚨
For spoiler reasons, I have decided to put the press release for the next episode, "Devil's Due" below. If you want to avoid reading this, then just scroll below it and continue reading the chapter.

 If you want to avoid reading this, then just scroll below it and continue reading the chapter

🚨🚨🚨🚨

Emma woke up later that same night due to another small nightmare. Killian's arm was wrapped securely and tightly around her waist. Ignoring his arm, she sat up and put her elbows on her thighs and her head in her hands. She wiped the sweaty locks of hair from her face. She felt his hand skim up her back as she tried to calm her heartbeat.

"What was it this time, love?" Killian asked.

"It was the same as before." She choked out. A lump was forming in her throat.

He sat up and hugged her. He held her tightly for a moment to reassure her that it was only a dream. He pulled away and got out of the bed. She grabbed his wrist when she saw that he was getting up.

"Relax, Swan. I'll be right back." He said.

She tugged his arm and pulled him to her. Their lips crashed in a sweet kiss.

"I'll be right back." He repeated before he stepped out of the room.

Emma laid back down and tossed the blankets off. She started to fan herself with her hand to try to cool herself off. Every time she shut her eyes, an image of Neal and his dark brown eyes flashed in front of her. But at the same time, a flash of Killian's light blue ones did too. She felt her shirt being lifted up and her eyes opened as she grabbed and clawed at the hand that held the hem of her shirt. The other hand grabbed her wrists and held them tight.

"It's okay. Shh, sweetheart. It's okay." Killian whispered.

She groaned from embarrassment. "I'm pathetic."

He sat an ice pack on her stomach and she instantly felt cooler. The cold spreading through her body in all directions as he laid back down next her. He twirled a piece of her hair in his fingers while watching her.

"Don't ever say that. Most girls wouldn't even let a man near her right now." He pressed a small kiss to her neck. "He isn't here, and he never will be."

His phone ringing interrupted the peace. He grabbed it from the charger on the nightstand and saw Graham's name flashing across the screen. He slid the answer button over and held the phone up to his ear.

"What the bloody hell do you want at 3:30 in the morning? I don't remember ordering a wake up call." Killian said.

Emma giggled and he gave her a wink in response.

"Why are you up at 3:30 in the morning?" Graham asked. He was slurring his words as he spoke.

"What do you want, Graham?"

"I want to talk to Emma. Now."

"You don't get to demand anything when it comes to her. Go find some other blonde to warm your bed."

Emma's cheeks flushed from embarrassment again. She held her hand out for the phone and hesitantly, Killian gave it to her.

"What do you want, Graham?" She asked sweetly, although inside she wanted to break the phone so no one could call again.

"Do you remember that time when we went out in high school?" He asked.

"Yea, you dumped me without even an explanation."

"Well, I wanted to tell you since forever that it was nothing but a mistake. I never should have left you in the first place. That being said, will you go out with me?"

"No. I'm with someone."

"You're with Killian, aren't you?"

"Yes." She said without hesitation. "And I'm happy."

"What is he going to do if Neal and Will escape prison? He can't protect you. He probably doesn't even know how to use a gun. I'm the sheriff of this town, Emma. I can protect you."

"With all due respect, Graham, I don't need you. I appreciate you worrying about me, but I'm fine."

"I just want you to know that you have people looking out for you if these guys get out. I wouldn't want to imagine what they would do. Your time with them couldn't have been good."

Tears came to her eyes as she remembered her time with Neal and Will. She put her head down and changed her gaze to her lap. Noticing this, Killian grabbed the phone from her, muttered a goodbye to Graham and hung up. He moved over to her and wrapped his arm around her waist.

"What's the matter, darling?" He asked as he put his head in her lap.

"It's just what Graham said. It uh, brought back memories that I'd rather forget." She said as she moved her hand to his head and played with his hair.

"Here is what we are going to do. You are going to go to work, I'll plan a romantic evening out. We will talk, laugh, and dance. We'll come back here afterwards, and do whatever you want to do."

She smiled. "Okay."

He got up and laid back down. He held his arms open for her and she snuggled into them. "Go to sleep. You still have a few hours until you have to get up again."

"Thank you so much." She whispered.

He nodded and placed a kiss on the top of her head. "It's just what I do."

She grabbed his hand and held it tightly. "I love you."

"I love you too. Now sleep."

She nodded and let herself drift off into a deep dreamless sleep.

When she woke up again, Killian was watching her. He had a coffee mug in his hand and the dorkiest smile on his face. She smiled back and moved the blanket over her shoulders.

"Did I wake you?" He asked.

She shook her head. "No. The sun did." She sat up. "What time is it?"

"It's about 11:00 in the afternoon. I thought I'd let you sleep."

"Killian, I had work at 7:00!" She exclaimed as she jumped out of bed.

"Wendy called and said that there was an electrical problem this morning so the whole gas station is closed for the rest of the week."

She relaxed and sat back down on the bed. "Oh. Don't scare me like that!" She yelled hitting his head.

He chuckled. "That means you get all day to figure out what you want to where for our date tonight."

'Date.' She thought. 'I love the sound of that.' "Okay."

His smile grew wider and he handed her the mug. "I'll be right up with your breakfast."

"Wow. Breakfast in bed too? What did I do to deserve that?"

He shrugged as he walked to the door. "Nothing. I just felt like you'd need it."

She laid back on her pillows and sighed contently. She had no idea about the people that were waiting for her downstairs.