Chapter 31

On Tuesday, Emma and Killian drove to the Maine state prison. David and Mary Margaret were the only other two people to know about the execution date. They stayed back in Storybrooke, waiting for them both to return.

The whole drive, Emma fidgeted in the seat. She kept her hand latched to Killian's. She knew she would try to run, and she wanted to look like she was a strong woman instead of a scared girl like she had in high school. Like she had after Neal abducted her. She wasn't going to give that monster the satisfaction that he still haunted her every single day. That his image was imprinted into her mind and scared her every time she was cornered or pinned down. Even though she knew that none of her friends or family would hurt her, she couldn't help but think that it was Neal. That everything that had happened since she escaped was nothing but a dream. That she would wake up and she would still be with Neal and Will. It hurt to think about things like that.

"Swan, don't do that to yourself." Killian said, interrupting her thoughts.

"I'm sorry." She looked down and grasped his hand tighter. "I can't help it."

"I know, love, but this isn't a dream. Tomorrow, you are going to wake up in my arms. Neal will be gone and we won't have to worry about him. I don't think Will is smart enough to continue this on his own. We're going to be free, and it's all because of you. You escaped. You got them caught."

"But how much trauma have we had to endure before all of this madness stopped?"

"It doesn't matter because everything is fine. You are fine. Henry is fine."

"We lost so much time. So many friendships."

"That can be replaced. We can build those friendships again. We can make time together. Hell, these nine months that you've been back has been fantastic. We're going to make new memories together as a family." Killian kissed the back of her hand and they continued driving without anymore problems.

Once arriving at the prison, Killian helped Emma out of the car and they walked in. They went to the receptionist desk and checked in, getting directions to an integration room. Security guards opened the door for Emma and Killian and they walked in. It was one of those room setups from the criminal shows. The table in the middle with the two way mirror on the wall. A single light hung above the table. There was already a woman in the room wearing jeans and a plain pink t-shirt. She had a badge clipped to her belt and a gun in her holster. In the corner was a police officer.

"I'm Jennifer. I've been looking after Neal and Will. Neal is going to come in here and you guys can talk. Afterwards, he will be taken to the execution room where he will die by lethal injection." She said. "Me and Officer Brown will be here the entire time."

Emma nodded. "We're ready."

A few minutes later, the door opened and two police officers came in with Neal. He was wearing an orange jumpsuit. He was handcuffed and had a wicked smirk on his face. Killian grabbed Emma's hand under the table as the police officers sat Neal down and cuffed him to the table. He leaned in, closer to the couple. She placed a protective hand over her baby bump.

"Emma, it is so nice to see you again." Neal said. "How's the pregnancy? I haven't seen you since the trial what, eight months ago?"

"Yes." She said, determined not to show fear or weakness.

"It is a shame that they are killing me today. I was always hoping that you and I could have the fun we've had. For old times sake."

"Enough." Killian said sternly.

"I'm shaking in my shoes." Neal said sarcastically. "What are you going to do? You haven't actually succeeded at protecting her."

"Maybe not, but she has been the safest with me." He didn't want to look over at Emma and see the look on her face. The look he knew would say 'you have protected me.'

"Please. You being here isn't safe for her. If our roles were switched, I wouldn't have brought her here because we both know that that would have been stupid. I wouldn't have brought her here no matter how much she begged and cried and pleaded. But, if you had a backbone, you would be able to resist her begging. She's very good at it though."

The countless times that she had begged Neal to leave her alone and not hurt her, or the times when she begged him to kill her suddenly ran through her mind. Her grip tightened on Killian's hand and he squeezed back, silently telling her that he was there. "Go to hell." Killian spat the words out as if they were poison in his mouth.

"Oh I will." Neal suddenly pulled down hard, causing the wooden beam under the table to rip free. He stood up and swung at the police officer. The bar hit him in the head with such force, he fell to the ground. Whether he was unconscious or dead, was something Emma couldn't tell. Before Jennifer could even raise her weapon, Neal reached down and grabbed the gun from Officer Brown. He shot Jennifer in her shoulder and turned to Killian and Emma. He stood in front of her protectively. "Isn't that just sweet?" He asked sarcastically. "I've spared you both more than once. I think it's time to finally finish the job." He raised the gun and Killian shielded Emma with his body. Both of them clenched their eyes shut, waiting for the bullet, but it never came to them. Instead, the gunshot that was heard happened in front of them. Killian opened his eyes first, in just enough time to see Neal fall to his knees. The life drained from his eyes as he hit the floor. Jennifer lay on the ground, clutching her arm. Her gun tossed to the side.

"Get out of here." She said weakly. The door opened and two security guards rushed to the two officers that were injured. Killian looked down at Emma who was concentrated on the floor. On the floor was a puddle. He gasped and grabbed her hands. "Did you have an accident, Emma?"

She shook her head. "My water just broke."