Chapter fourteen

One day later

I ride my Harley up the dirt road with Renee and Jake behind me in the car. I rest my arm on my leg as I drive with my left hand letting my right rest. We have been on the road all night keeping the Dead on a steady stretch away from our group and now Merks farm.

We did not expect their to be survivors to be camping out at his place till we came over the hill just down the street from them. Luckily for them I noticed before they noticed us or the dead noticed them. We verd off course taking a side road and lead them about half a day away.

An have spent most of the night out in An abandoned farm house gathering saplys and getting sleep. We slept in three shifts, one slept while two watches. I and Renee took first watch then Jake and I took second.

Renee and Jake took last. I really didn't sleep waking every few minutes. Nightmares plagued me of the dead and brutal men taking down our group. The dead would sweep through first and those that managed to survive where taken as meat for the men.

I had watched helplessly as Aiden and his group had been taken as meat. I watched them be butchered still alive. I had shot up awake with my last attempt at sleep and had raced to the bathroom vomiting into the toliet. We had left shortly after and no one had said anything about my lack of sleep.

We have been on the for for about an four hours and have just past Merk's Farm. We can drive faster now that we are not leading a horde away and set a good pace back into town. We stop at a store on the outskirts of down and take a small break there.

I park my back inside the double door building and set on my bike watching the clouds passing by. I pull out my walky and set my wrist holding it against my mouth bitting the skin just below my glove. Renee and Jake come into the building holding a box of protein bares and three sodas. Renee hands me one of each and leans against the window to the right of me. She opens the protein bare eating it slowly.

I push the botton down. "Base, t3 here lookin for stat update. Over." I say over the walky knowing we are not to far from our new base

The walky clicks over a yawn filling the room as Jas's voices come over the walky. "Base here. All good here. The place is still safe from last scavenge. God Em never know how much I was worried till you where not here with me. How thing look on your end? How much longer? Over."

"Base thing good on out end. Not much longer at Av6, should be there in thirty. Base is their any new comers amonge you. Over." I ask and rest my mouth on my wrist again bitting 91st the glove.

"Yeah a few. They are locked up till tomorrow. Over." Jac says.

"Good. Over n out" I say putting the walky back and open the pacage of the bar with my teeth. I eat the protein bar and drink half the soda. I look over to the two grim faceing watching outside. Each face showing the hell they have been through since this all began. We are not the same people we where walking into this as we are now walking through it to get out at the end. We don't even know of we will ever make it out of this shit alive.

I finish my soda and look away from them out the window and sigh. "Ready." I say none of us wanting to talk about what happened and Daniel's.

"Yeah." Renee says a hardness to her that wasn't there before.

"Let's get the hell outa here." Jake says and we leave heading out to base. I drive behind them as they take the old familiar road to my father's old farm house. My parents split up when my brother and I where young. We spent most of our summers her till mom died then we lives with my gather till we moved out. He didn't survive the outbreak. I had to drag his dead body out and burn it a few months after getting to Roswell. Jake and Renee had been with me that day. None of us spoke of it. I can still smell the rancid smell of death as if I was standing before his corpse once more.