8: Taniel

I had just returned to the chair behind Father's desk, when he came in bearing drinks. He kicked the door shut behind him. He passed me a tumbler over the desk. I mumbled my thanks, sipped the juice, and waited for my scolding.

"Well," he said, "I don't think we need talk about what happened up at the castle. It's pretty obvious what you were doing up there." His breath furrowed foam as he raised his beer to his mouth. "Lucky Peter saw you."

"Lucky?" I shouted, jumping to my feet. "You could've pulled me out of the line yourself. You didn't have to make a fool of me like that."

Father's blue eyes blazed. "I wanted Seneschal Bister to know you. You will not get in. They take a dim view of liars."

"But I am a free woman. I did not lie. I renounced the vow. I won't marry Peter."

I drew in a deep breath as Father slammed down his tankard. Beer splashed his hand.

"I mean it," I said before he got a word out. "I'll only wed a dragonrider."

"But Peter is —"

"He's not now, is he? He didn't even bother telling me he was buying half this place."

Father scowled. "If you hadn't told me he was the love of your life, I would never have let you look at one of those superior mongrels. What happened there, hey?"

I shrugged.

"Anyway, for a dragonrider," he said, "Peter is a good lad. I like him. Look, lass, if something happens to me, you'll need someone."

"Aunt Rita —"

"Your aunt has her own life. You can't expect her to mother you forever."

My mouth fell open. 

"Sit," he growled.

I sat.

Father drained his beer and frowned at the ceiling. After a time, he looked down at me huddled in his chair. I held my breath, glad to see his anger wane.

"I'm going to insist," he said. "You will marry Peter."

"No, you can't do that. I won't."

"Name me one woman around here who got to choose her own husband." He raised an eyebrow.

I bit my bottom lip. I never got close enough to girls to know that sort of thing and Father knew that.

"I thought not. You had the best father in Skerby." He grimaced. "No more."

"I'll leave. I will never stay here with him, that's for sure."

"Hah!" Father rolled his eyes and stood. 

Wearing a small, sad smile, he held the door open. "Come on, lass. Let's get you something to eat."

I followed him down the passage to the kitchen where he filled a bowl with stew from the pot kept on the range while I fetched a spoon, our argument hanging between us.

I cleared my throat. "Peter only wants the tavern, not me."

"And riding a dragon is all you want. What a bloody hypocrite."

"It's nothing new, Father. My whole life, I've wanted to be part of the dragon world. You know that."

"You should have grown out of that nonsense by now. Your betrothal — "

"I renounced the vow in plenty of time. He knows that. We didn't ... you know ... confirm it."

Father looked surprised.

"He's just trying to wear me down, that's all," I said.

"Yeah, well, he must want you."

I ate in strained silence as Father leaned against the sink, his arms folded, watching me.

"You could try smartening yourself up a bit," he said, looking over my mannish attire with distaste. "Maybe Erin can give you a few tips on proper dressing," he said.

I snorted over my spoon hand. "I'm not going about with half my breasts hanging out. You can forget that." I picked carrot off my wrist.

Father's eyes twinkled. "She's been good for custom."

I rolled my eyes and pretended a loud sigh. "I'll wear dresses, just for you, but I can't see how it makes any difference to the customers."

"It's for the best." He patted my shoulder. "You know the older folk get uncomfortable when women act contrary."

"I'm sick of men saying what we can and can't do," I said, staring into my empty bowl.

"Nothing you can do about it, lass." He sighed. "Listen, I'll leave the husband hunting to you, but don't muck about. I like Peter. He is doing a good job with running things around here. So, until you tell me different, your wedding date stands."

"But it's only weeks away," I wailed.

"Nevertheless, you will wed."

Father had the cheek to wink at me on his way out the door as if he had not just consigned me to a life of tavern drudgery.

I dropped the bowl in the sink. I was the unpaid help around here and if I married Peter, nothing about my life would change except adding the needs of a husband and offspring to the mix. From what I had seen of Peter, he was a miserly bastard. There would be no more slacking off to watch dragons for me.

My dragon dream was shattered. I would never find another dragonrider in time.

But then again, I might find gumption enough to leave when it was the only option left. I could try the other watchwards. They did not know me. Failing that, I would need coin, lots of coin, and earning it could take the rest of my life.

A dragon egg would not come cheap.

***

The original scene has been completely replaced with another revised one. It is also the beginning of Chapter Two in other versions.

24 May 2021: Final update, synchronising Wattpad, Book Funnel and Kindle versions.

Thanks for reading.

Vote?

Comment?