45: Dax

Dax, his hand still holding his useless spell, stared at the closed door. "Enjoy your supper," he mimicked the few words the stupid girl had spoken, apart from offering him sugar.

He did not handle that well, not well at all.

Why did she change her mind? "She should've stayed downstairs, then." He picked up a jam pastry and crammed it in his mouth.

He glared at the candelabra on the mantel above the fireplace and flicked a finger. Every wick leapt into flame.

"Well, that's a comfort," he said, brushing crumbs from his vest to the floor. He did not really care about the failure, not really. He had not liked Mother's plan.

Someone tapped on his door. In two strides, he crossed the room to find Katerine, her hand raised to knock again.

"Oh, it's you," he said.

"What happened?" she hissed.

Dax pulled her inside and pushed the door shut with his foot. "You tell me, I don't know. She changed her mind or something. I tried to stop her, but she kept on going. What will we do?"

"Paget will know."

"Paget? She's here? Wait." Dax slumped into the armchair. "I've got to think," he said. "She'll be pretty pissed off." He chewed the words with another supper tidbit.

"I'll move my things into her room. Best I leave here." He reached for the teacup, and gulped too sweet tea, pulling a face. The girl could not count.

Dax collected his still-packed bag and coat. Grabbing the last supper pastry, he followed Katerine along the hall.

He shivered. Paget disconcerted him.

All witch-women did.

***

20 March 2017 - replaced with revised scene  21March 2017 - noticed  Dax's cake is a jam tart in the next scene - fixed it here.

Vote?

Comment?

Thanks for reading!