36: Taniel

Father raised an eyebrow as I rushed into the kitchen and slammed down the tray. "What's up with you?" he asked.

"Huh? Oh, nothing, I just tripped over my feet as I was coming out the dining room."

"You're pale. You have Rita look at you when she comes home. Have you eaten?"

"I will be fine, Father, don't fuss. I skipped lunch, that's all." The last thing I wanted was one of Aunt Rita's tonics. "I'll eat something."

Katerine came in. I must have looked really pale as she gave me an odd look, too.

I tried to make sense of what had happened. This Dax fellow must be connected to Rufus, somehow. At his touch, the green dragon was in my head. This man had known my name.

Had my betrothed sent his brother in his stead?

If the man was an Eighalh wizard, then my wait was over. But, then again, if he were on official business, he would be in the crowded kitchen demanding my immediate removal to the citadel.

I emptied the tray into the sink and returned to the dining room, pleased to find him gone.

Finding out if Dax was in Skerby to hinder, or help, would have to wait.

***

20 March 2017 - replaced with revised version ( a lot shorter and a changed location, so some comments might be dated)

Vote?

Comment?