32: Taniel

The dining room filled up fast. Busier than usual, I took orders, fetched meals from the kitchen and removed the leavings.

The room buzzed with conversation and laughter, likely fuelled by drinks in the common room, beforehand. The delightful aroma of roasted meats and vegetables rumbled my stomach and I salivated at the array of desserts laid out on the sideboard.

Soon after the dinner gong sounded, my fake smiles had turned into real ones as I feigned ignorance of the secret ingredients in Jimbo's famous fish chowder.

I enjoyed the light-hearted banter. Erin came in with grog, and Peter sauntered through several times, picking up empty tankards. Once, I even managed to give him a bright smile. I might need him on my side.

I was on my way to the door, bearing a stack of used dishes, when Jarryd came in. I froze, my heart skipping at his smiling dark brown eyes and his little beard joining with his moustache at the corners of his mouth.

With his name on my lips, I realised he was not Jarryd.

I stared at him. Though taller and broader than my betrothed, the resemblance was remarkable.

The tray tilted in my inattentive hands. Crockery crashed to the floor and I followed, sinking to my knees, mortified. The room hushed. Everyone watched. My face flamed. I concentrated on clearing the mess; glad I had not made things worse by calling out Jarryd's name.

"Here, let me help."

To my horror, the man squatted. He gathered pieces of a shattered bowl.

I dared a peek from under my lashes. Jarryd mentioned a brother, I thought. Could this be him?

"I'm sorry I startled you," he said quietly.

I grunted and dropped my eyes.

He put the last plate on the stack and, picking up the tray, dumped it on the sideboard.

He offered me his hand.

I could not avoid his help. Unable look at him directly, I took the hand and let him help me to my feet. Dizziness swayed me as, unbidden, the persistent presence of the green dragon on my mindpath magnified.

Rufus? Surprised, I called.

No, I am Dax.

Shocked, I met the man's eyes.

He nodded. Taniel. His lips did not move.

A wizard!

I pulled my hand free and grabbed the tray from the sideboard.

I fled.

***

20 March 2017 - replaced with revised version

Vote?

I would love comments - good, bad, indifferent?