106: Taniel

You must hurry. The black dragons are here, Driscoll repeated.

Notary Bates paled when Jarryd told him of the firedrake's warning. The old man snatched our marriage lines from the desk, shook off the sand, rolled the paper, and handed it to Jarryd.

We rushed out and, as I called my thanks over my shoulder, I spied Mother's leather box on the chair and cried out. The notary swooped on the box, grabbed my cloak, and shoved both into my hands.

I caught up with Jarryd and Aunt Rita at the front door. The hollow thump of the notary's locking bar followed us down the path.

When we reached the street, I was startled at the change in the weather. A strong wind had sprung up while we were inside. Dead leaves and streams of dust flew along the cobblestones. Several people, visible in the feeble light of street lamps, had their backs turned to the wind, arms protecting their eyes. An approaching horse shied and its rider let it turn away. I squinted into the wind for sight of the dragon. To my amazement, the dust blew in the opposite direction.

Of course, it was dragon magic.

"Do not stand there gawking" growled Driscoll. "Come on. There are two black dragons over behind the ridge. No mindspeech."

I felt the cold invisibility spell on my skin. Once it took hold, I could see Driscoll crouched in front of us. I gabbled a goodbye to Aunt Rita.

"I'll carry that, sweetheart," Jarryd said, taking the box from me and shoving it inside his jacket. He pulled me to the firedrake and boosted me halfway. I clawed at the scales. Jarryd scooted past me. He dragged me up until my back was against him.

The firedrake launched.

Mother's box dug painfully into my spine but I was unwilling to move forward as Driscoll streaked for the travl-ring atop Watchward Skerby. As he neared the illuminated portal, it rippled.

Driscoll veered upward.

A black dragon flashed into view below us. My mouth dropped and dread took my breath. The sight of it raised an instinctual fear. Two more black beasts appeared, one bearing a cowled rider. The three swept out of town, following the northbound road.

None detected our invisible presence. Driscoll continued his slow spiral upward, waiting for a chance to try again.

Another two dragons strolled from the travl-ring. Huge black wings stretched and flapped before they settled themselves, back-to-back, guarding both sides of the portal.

We could not go that way.

***

9 April 2017 - a new scene to fit within revised timeline