44: Jarryd

Jarryd was halfway to freedom from the purple dome when it seemed like Rufus slammed into a stone-built wall. The dragon bounced back, his head flinging about so far that it recoiled into Jarryd's back.

Propelled forward, Jarryd lost his grip on the handhold. He snatched at the backpack in front of him. He missed.

He fell through the rapidly closing rupture.

Jarryd rolled down the outside of the curved dome, scrabbling against it, trying to slow his fall. He hit the ground, the bedroll on his back taking the full force.

Winded, he lifted his head to look for Rufus and saw the green dragon dragging himself out of the water.

Jarryd groaned. Rufus was still trapped. He could not leave his dragon. He loosened the strapping holding the bedroll on his back and rolled off it.

He looked up the hill for the light he had watched earlier. He doubted those people were here to help him. He was better off inside the dome with Rufus.

He unrolled his bedroll. After storing several knives about his person, he armed himself with the sword. The etched blade gleamed; its dragon seemed to ripple under the weak light of the moon.

The two shadowy figures and their illumination rushed towards him.

Jarryd blinked, looking from the sword to the barrier. From his studies at Eighalh, he knew the weapon was an ancient, magical artifact before it became the Sword of the Keeper. It had unexplored capabilities.

Would it cut the barrier? Would it free Rufus?

There was only the one way to find out.

***

20 March 2017 - replaced with revised scene ( changed greatly from original and moved forward)

Vote?

Comment?

Thanks for reading!