41: Taniel - Temptation

In bedroom number eight, the sense of Rufus edging into my head, was stronger than earlier. I glanced at Dax. He had not moved any closer since he had apologized for my dining room scare.

To cover listening to my mindpath, I sidled closer to the supper tray and fussed with putting the lid on the sugar-bowl.

Rufus?

Taniel, do not mind talk. Heralded by a buzz, the warning from Jarryd's dragon slid into my head.

Hello, sweetheart, Jarryd's voice arrived, smooth as silk. Dax is not dangerous. Do not worry. You will be fine.

Dax sauntered into the edge of my vision, looking at the food. "What do we have here?" His trouser leg nudged the hem of my skirt.

My mind raced over Jarryd's words. How did he know I was with Dax?

I snatched up a plate of pastries and shoved it at Dax, the momentum nearly tossing food down his open necked shirt. My eyes lingered where his neck flowed into bared collarbones. I think I forgot to breathe.

Dax has imprisoned us with magic. No, do not talk. You can free us by touching him, skin to skin, until I say stop.

Huh? I dared not touch him. I had to go. Now. My body insisted the contact would be wonderful and was what I really wanted.

Dax interrupted my inner turmoil. "Cat got your tongue?" he asked, taking the plate, letting his fingers brush mine.

Searing need torched my lower belly.

Dax held my eyes and a slight frown settled on his brow.

Jarryd, without words, reminded me that he was with me. At first, I had difficulty recalling the instructions: I had to touch the wizard. It was not wrong, not wrong at all.

Jarryd needed me to touch him. I tried to speak but all that came out was a low groan. It was fortunate the wizard was so close for I could not move.

I watched his lips. My tongue moistened my own. He lowered his face to mine. My face lifted and my hand hovered near his jaw.

Dax's warm breath caressed my parted lips, coaxing me to claim the kiss.

I sensed Jarryd's reluctance and turned my face away. I would not kiss this wizard. I struggled against capitulation, letting Jarryd's encouragement fill me with confidence.

From somewhere, came determination: it coursed from the top of my head, clear to my toes, taking all temptation with it.

My eyes locked on Dax.

His frown deepened.

With a finger, I prodded his chest, right where my eyes had hungered earlier. With a sizzling fingertip, I gently pushed him away.

His eyes widened.

Dax shimmered. Opalescent colours and transparent images swirled around us. My knees began to buckle but I stiffened them. Sound vanished. My heartbeat stopped thudding in my ears, though I could still feel it thumping in my chest. I listened for Jarryd's permission to end it.

I was more than ready to go.

***

20 March 2017 - added the revised scene (split from original to keep timeline intact)

Vote?

Comment?

Thanks for reading!