84: Hanrey

In his bedroom, Hanrey checked the flaps on his bulging saddlebags and tugged on the bindings attaching his oiled coat to the bedroll. His fingers trailed over the jacket on the bed. Cissie's letter was safe, snug inside. All he had to do to complete his packing was to fetch some coin from his stash in the cellar.

Peter tapped on the open door.

"Old Bates is here," he said. His beam had been permanent since agreeing to purchase Hanrey's half of the tavern.

"Right, let's do this." Hanrey donned his jacket. He clapped Peter on the back as he walked with him down the hallway to his office.

"I'm sorry I was late," the Notary said when they entered. After spreading the bills of sale across the desk, he glanced at them briefly before examining Hanrey's writing tools. He pulled an ink-stained cloth from a pocket and polished nibs while he questioned Peter's understanding of the contract.

Finally, satisfied that everyone knew what they were doing, Notary Bates positioned the inkwell and passed a charged pen to Peter.

In turn, an exhilarated Hanrey added his flourish to all three documents, freeing himself of the tavern, at last, although under different circumstances than he expected.

Notary Bates did his part and, once the ink dried, slipped his copy into his satchel. They shook hands all round, and Peter, still grinning, carried his document from the room like a doting father with his firstborn.

The old Notary followed but, instead of leaving, he closed the door and turned back, trepidation across his face. "I told that wizard about your wife's letter," he said. "I am sorry, but he asked me and I cannot be found out in a lie."

Hanrey slapped a big hand protectively over Cissie's words. "Will they come for it?

"Not yet," he answered. "The Grandmaster's party was well over the bridge by the time Briant caught up with them. I was coming to warn you, but they kept on going. Hanrey, he took my seal rubbing."

"I was glad to see the back of them," Hanrey said, frowning. "I'm afraid I didn't do a good job of ingratiating myself like you suggested. I lost my temper. They asked for tea, the bastards. I told them sitting around on their arses drinking tea wasn't going to get my daughter back." Just recalling his anger made his heart thump. Briant had introduced the Grandmaster Wizard and the second-in-command to him before resuming his questioning of the townsfolk.

"They will be back. You put a date on the rubbing thing," Hanrey said.

"I let him think Taniel got the letter when she came of age. I file my seal collection by colour. I made a great show of finding it. They might not notice the date right away. They have other things on their mind."

"Good man." Hanrey patted his pocket. "I guess Cissie tells Taniel why she can dragontalk. You heard?"

"The town is abuzz with the news and every other person knows you're off to Eighalh." Notary Bates extended his hand. "Best of luck, with everything."

"Thanks." Hanrey winked, releasing the Notary's hand.

"I better get going, before they change their minds," he said. "I couldn't put up with any more of their stupid questions." Hanrey growled, frustrated. He must be on his way as soon as he escorted Notary Bates to the common room.

That done, Hanrey about-faced and rushed out the back door to fetch the bag from outside Taniel's bedroom. Unable to reason why he covered for the dragonrider, he had tossed the bag out the window while Rita had showed the Grandmaster into the sitting room.

He dragged out more than the bag from under the lavender bush.

Hunkering down, he thought the narrow wooden box oddly familiar. As he undid a latch, the weathered wood vibrated under his fingertips and his armring warmed.

Hanrey jumped up, slammed a boot down on the lid and, bending awkwardly, he hastily secured the box. He held his breath as he listened to the sounds around him.

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. It was quiet, as usual, with the laundry maids and the yard workers gone. A hen cackled. The cows were silent. He edged to Taniel's window.

Looking about, one last time, he scooped up the bag and the sword box and dropped both into the bedroom. His knees weakened and he clutched the sandstone ledge for support.

Why was the sword here?

With his stomach churning, Hanrey wiped sweat from his face with his sleeve. Surely, it did not intend bonding with him.

Not again!

***

4 April 2017 - replaced with revised scene

Thanks for reading!

Vote?

Comment?