39: Taniel

I knocked a second time. My trepidation rose when footsteps approached the door and I braced myself.

The door opened.

With averted eyes, I entered conscious that my white-knuckled grip on the tray betrayed my anxiety just as much as my blush.

The door closed behind me. After I put the tray on the side table by the armchair near the fireplace, I had to turn to him.

Dax leaned against the door, a small, pleasant smile on his lips.

While my thoughts tumbled over each other, my heart continued its pounding.

I cannot risk my freedom, I thought, turning away from him. I grabbed the teapot and poured his tea for something to do to gain time. Perhaps it would be best not to ask questions of him.

What if he was just a stray wizard and he knew naught of me? He might have heard someone else use my name. One wrong word and I would give myself away and find myself sent to Eighalh.

If he should mindtalk again, I would pretend not to hear it and he would think he was mistaken downstairs. After all, I did not respond to his introduction in kind.

Heat freshened in my cheeks as I suddenly recognised the sensation sweeping violently through my innards. It was akin to the fervency I experienced in Jarryd's arms just a few days ago. This unprovoked passion could not be normal.

All thought swept from my head and I found myself, entranced, staring at Dax like a simpleton. I fought the desire.

"Sugar?" The question popped out my mouth, shocking to my senses. My voice was calm.

From his place by the door, he nodded. "Two," he said, straightening. "No cream." He took a step toward me.

I turned back to the teacup, thinking I should leave while I had the will. I stirred in the sweetener and my body gave unasked-for advice. I told it we were leaving.

Why did I not just walk out? Surely, I was spelled. It must be easy for a wizard to bend a girl to his will.

Not this girl.

I tried to make a smile before I turned to face him.

He had halved the distance between us. "I'm sorry for startling you earlier," he said. He sounded relaxed and confident: expectant.

I nodded.

Dax moved closer.

***

20 March 2017 - replaced with revised version (I have split the original scene into two, so some comments may refer to Taniel's next one)

Thanks for reading.

Vote?

Comment?