52: Dax

Mother and Ritter, wearing matching frowns, were already on their feet when Dax and Paget entered the family reception room.

Dax threw his coat and bag down on the nearest couch, and took Paget's valise from her. He rolled up his shirtsleeves for, as usual, the blaze from the central fire pit dominated the room. Eventually, he had to look at his mother.

With her sweeping red hair and long dress, she looked like a splash of blood leaking down the dark indigo walls. Her green eyes reflected the scattered mage lights.

"So, what went wrong?" she demanded,

Dax jerked his head towards the witch.

Paget nodded. "Wizard Ritter, Mistress Olivia," she said, stepping forward. "The Blood Ban interrupted Dax's intimacy with the girl. She must be related to him."

"Oh." Mother's peevish face turned thoughtful.

Dax was relieved to have Paget declare him blameless. He had enough on Katerine to stop her blabbing about his mistakes.

"Where's Katerine?" asked Ritter, looking every inch a wizard in his black robes, straggling white beard and long hair.

"I left her and the doorball in Skerby. I presumed you would want me return to the tavern," Paget said.

"So, Olivia, what do you want?" Ritter said, clearly annoyed that it was not his call.

"We will have to sidestep the physical then. Do it the other way," Mother said. "The method we discussed, Paget."

"Very well, but it is no good using Dax," Paget flicked a hand towards him. "His seed will most likely be rejected."

"Are you sure it was the Blood Ban?" Mother sneered. "Perhaps she is the One and overpowered him."

Ritter snorted and the three of them studied his heating face.

Shrugging, Dax sent a silent apology to Paget, but did not offer an opinion. He understood when to keep his mouth shut.

"I can't see how," the witch responded, arching her eyebrows. "Dax is one of the strongest wizards in Corrangorach. How could a girl just coming into dragonspeech possibly be stronger? She has no magic, not yet."

"Then we will use Ryne." Mother turned to Ritter and smiled. "So, you get your wish, after all. We will do the impregnation my way. There will be no bedding."

She stared at Dax. "And we will let the girl think that Dax is the father. The wedding can go ahead as planned."

"No bloody way!" Dax cried. "What about Jarryd couldn't he...?" His question withered as both his mother and stepfather fixed him with stony eyes.

"Don't be ridiculous, Dax," scoffed Mother.

Ritter added his scorn. "Your brother's talent is kept from him for a reason. Why would we waste this magic on him?"

Dax attempted to ask what the reason was, but Mother spoke over top of him.

"We will not lose this chance to blood our family!" Mother took Ritter's arm, "If you cannot use the girl, Ryne can."

"But, Mother, wouldn't the paternal spell fix Jarryd?" It was useless, but Dax needed to try.

"I doubt it." Ritter rejected the plea before his mother opened her mouth. "Why take the risk? We can let him try the girl in a few years, once my magic peaks."

Dax glanced at Paget.

"A few years?" the witch cried, her voice shrill. "There will be no few years. This is one shot only before Eighalh gets involved. Our deal was for one pregnancy, no more. A red dragon for a child, Olivia, we agreed."

A red dragon? Dax was astounded. Mother was bargaining with Ritter's dragons. From the way Ritter's mouth pursed, he was not happy about it.

Ritter reached up to the mantel above the fire for his pipe. He puffed it alight, and took a few steps towards Dax and Paget, waving the pipe amid a cloud of sweet smoke.

"You forget about those piss-ant wizards. Eighalh is clueless. You go and fetch her back here, and forget all this sneaking about. No-one will know we have her."

Dax looked at Paget from the corner of his eye.

Her face told him nothing.

"I'll tell Katerine," Paget said. "I'll go now?"

As he listened to them give instructions to Paget, Dax tried not to let his frantic thoughts show on his face. He needed to go back, too. He must stop them kidnapping the girl.

"Can I help? She knows me." His voice sounded normal.

"Don't be stupid, Dax." Mother laughed. "Come on, Paget, dear. I'll escort you down to the door-room."

Dax tried to catch Paget's eye before she left but she would not look at him.

Ritter eyed him with suspicion.

"Paget," called Ritter, as the pair reached the door. "Offer the girl a red dragon. That price worked once, it will work again. Katerine said the girl is obsessed with dragons."

Paget's eyes narrowed. "She is not having mine. Have you another?"

"Of course," said Ritter, airily, waving his pipe. "I have a good crop of youngsters coming along, and another brood about to hatch. No shortage of dragons in the Stakkr dragonhold."

"That might work," Paget said.

After the women left, Dax pondered his options. If he was to stay stuck in Stakkr, he was powerless. Hell, he could not even use magic without his stepfather's leave.

Dax glared at the glittering pink specks in the indigo walls. The magic dampeners, embedded in the entire castle complex, were visible only here and in Ritter's quarters due to the magical processes changing the granite into the deep, dark blue. The same dampeners enhanced Ritter's magic - when he possessed some.

Reminded that it was his own magic used on Jarryd, Dax discarded the idea of insisting the spell be removed. His brother would never get back in time. Still, if they combined their magic, they might overcome the dampeners and free the girl.

Dax tried to think.

Driscoll would know the best approach, but his dragon was away on one of his unexplained absences. That had suited Dax on his excursion to Skerby, for Mother wanted the firedrake ignorant of her plans. She had never trusted Driscoll from the day the dragon had arrived from Dax's father as a Bestowment gift. He could not go up on the roof, not now. They would know he was up there talking to Driscoll.

He should wait until he found out if the girl was willing. How many tavern girls would turn their back on living the good life in a castle? Then there was her obsession with dragons. Dax shook his head, unable to believe Ritter would give away two of his red dragons so easily.

Shame and guilt seeped into his gut as he sank into the furthest seat from the fire pit.

Mother returned.

She smiled at him and Dax took the goblet of red she offered. He sighed, sipped, and watched Ritter by the fire. His mother's wizard puffed on his pipe, smirking into the flames. He seemed happy, and why not? Without a doubt, two dragons were well worth the magical richness this girl would bring to his bloodline.

They waited in an almost companionable silence, broken only by the occasional hiss and pop of the fire. Dax found it oddly soothing.

It must be the wine, he thought.

***

29 March 2017 -  replaced with revised scene

Vote?

Comment?

Thanks for reading!