87: Jarryd

Driscoll shoved his snout and jowls under the dry sand one last time before bouncing to his feet, his scales clacking as they fluffed like feathers. He shimmied, shedding sand, shells, and strands of dried seaweed.

Jarryd, sick of talking, ducked his head against the stinging particles. Their conversation went around in circles.

You will be the Keeper. Think of the girl.

Crossing his arms, Jarryd turned his back on the firedrake. He did not want to think of Taniel.

He could think of nothing else.

"I shall wait for Rufus," he said.

Rufus will not come. I have told him to find the witch. They cannot be left to fend for themselves, not with that youngster's flaws and the witch lacking dragonspeak.

After what she let happen to Taniel, Jarryd cared little if Paget should drown, be mauled by rockgoblins, or be abducted by forest sprites. Dax's daughter was all her fault.

So, you are just going to give up. Driscoll's anger drilled deep in his head. You are going to break that girl's heart just because you are too cowardly to fight for her.

The words rang true.

Shamed, he admitted that he only thought of himself. He was protecting his own feelings; he had not once trusted the trueness of her heart.

It is time you grew up. You exchanged binding vows with the girl. The sword will not undo your betrothal. Would you risk your brother giving her over to the Clades? Driscoll snorted. Wisps of smoke trickled from his nostrils. Should you not honour your word?

He means it is time to be a man, Jarryd thought, walking to the waterline. Dampness underfoot cooled his bare feet as he stared across the sea to Stakkr. He remembered Taniel's happiness, as they lay on the bed together, talking of their son. Given time, Taniel might grow to love him as she loved their unborn babe.

He must give her a choice.

He must give himself a chance. "You are right, Driscoll, as always," he said, turning to face the dragon. "I will go back." Jarryd rushed to his boots, drying atop a rock. Before putting them on, he batted sand from his feet and the legs of his salt-encrusted trousers.

We will fly inland before I make you invisible. This time, you will only be spelled until you leave with Taniel in her room. Longer, and you risk fading, for real.

Jarryd glanced across at the castle. He shivered. Ritter probably watched, gloating at his stupidity.

"I'm ready," he said.

Driscoll lowered his forequarters and Jarryd clambered on to his back, settling himself between the spikes. He pressed tight against the golden red scales as the firedrake bunched his hindquarters for the launch. Once aloft, Driscoll snapped open his wings, and wheeled up over the cliff.

Jarryd shielded his face from the sandy debris swirling around him.

He listened to Driscoll's plan.

***

4 April 2017 - replaced with revised scene (the major departure from the original is that, as stated earlier, Jarryd has not bonded with the sword)

Thanks for reading!

Vote?

Comment? 

What do THINK will happen next? (2016)

What do you WANT to happen next? (2016)