72: Rufus - Watchward Turras

Are you sure, I am allowed to land? The green dragon eyed the terrace atop Watchward Turras, drawing closer by the second. I would die if I were banned from flying.

Rufus. Rufus. I can have us through that travl-ring to Eighalh, no matter your colour. Sam laughed. Do not worry. It is only the roof.

"Ahoy. You on the green thing, what do you think you're doing?" A travl-wizard's amplified voice hailed them.

Thing? The dragon regretted letting the wizard talk him out of dumping him on the shore of The Great Lake. He descended, heavy with moose meat. For one horrible moment, he thought he might be sick. Everyone would see what a glutton he had made of himself though he supposed the only way anyone might tell would be to count moo--

Stop that. Sam laughed.

Rufus winced at his inadvertent sharing. Pulling in his wings, he thumped down on the stone terrace. The forbidden travl-ring towered above him, its gleaming curves glinting in the noon sun. He edged away from it.

Two guards ran towards them, swords drawn. The travl-wizard dashed from the base of the observation tower.

Rufus swung his head around to watch Sam slide down from his back.

"And who do you think you are, Sir? Be off," shouted the closest guard. "Use the front door like everyone else."

"That dragon better not go near the portal," hissed the other.

This will be good, Rufus thought.

Acknowledging Rufus's comment with a grin over his shoulder, Sam strode to meet the two men. He pulled out his silver medallion and, with the chain dangling from his fist, thrust it into their startled faces.

The guards stepped back.

Rufus sighed relief.

The puffing wizard skidded to a halt beside his guards. "Grandmaster, do you wish to travll?" he asked,

"No way, not on an untagged green, thanks," Sam said, putting them at ease, instantly. "No, the paperwork would be horrendous. I shall use your door-room. The dragon will be on his way."

Rufus tensed his hindquarters.

"Wait," Sam said.

Rufus fidgetted; he had a long flight ahead of him.

"Come, Grandmaster, I'll show you down," the travl-wizard held out a shepherding arm.

"After I instruct the dragon." Sam turned to Rufus.

I owe you one. Sam patted his shoulder. I suppose young Langley will be annoyed. He recognised me. It was written all over his face. And Dax, well, my son is always mad at me.

Yes. Rufus kept his other thoughts to himself.

I was on undercover work and I... I sort of took a side trip... and next thing I knew, Ritter and his gang of pirates had outsmarted me. I think they knew who I was all along.

Rufus wished Sam would stop explaining. It was not his business. Besides, if he stayed ignorant, then he could not answer questions. Not that he would be able to give useful answers, anyhow, for Sam was making little sense.

Tell Jarryd I am sorry. It was out of my control.

Sam stopped talking, said his goodbye, and rushed to the door where the travl-wizard waited to take him down to their portal doors.

Rufus launched for the sun overhead. He curved around the travl-ring, and made for home.

Castle Stakkr was too far away to reach before dark, especially with a gut full of moose. He did not want to travel over the bay, in case exhaustion came unexpected. He decided to fly over the cascades, and follow the western shores where there should be plenty of sheltered places for sleep.

Rufus searched for signs of the great waterfall. When he found the spray, the green dragon adjusted his direction. Folding his wings against his body, he flew south.

He did not know where else to go, but home.

Neither Driscoll nor Jarryd had answered his silent call.

***

1 April 2017 - replaced with revised scene

Thanks for reading!

Vote?

Comment?