Chapter Four

Blake's laughter disrupts my concentration for applying my lipstick

Blake's laughter disrupts my concentration for applying my lipstick. The pale shade of brown is lightly smudged on the corner of my lower lip. Thankfully, the shade isn't red so I don't look like a clown.

I glare at Blake because it means I'll have to fix my foundation which is more work. That, and I was having the perfect run before he walked in.

"Go away, Blake."

"I'm sorry, let me fix it." He pouts.

Blake grabs my arm and tugs me away from the mirror. He kisses my forehead and reaches for the tube of lipstick. He looks at the shade, then to me with happiness swirling within his green eyes.

"You do know that you're beautiful without this?" 

"Yes." I nod. "Although, I want to look good for you and our parents."

"Just don't forget that you're stunning with or without this." Blake rubs his thumb over the corner of my lip.

He reapplies the brown lipstick before placing the tube on the bathroom vanity. His smile widens as he appears impressed with his handy work.

"Thank you for the help." I grin. "I do not want to look like I rolled out of bed for the pictures I know our mothers will take. If I look like a sloth on Facebook, it'll be there forever."

"Sloths are adorable!"

"And so are you." I plonk my lips on Blake's cheek.

Blake goes to frown, but he smiles instead. He grabs the engagement ring out of his pocket and slips the ring on my finger.

"I got you a present too." I smile.

"Really?"

"Don't be too surprised!"

I brush past Blake and grab his present out of my side draw. He takes the box from my hand and opens it. Inside, there's a silver ring with 'Always' engraved into the band.

"You laughed at the idea, but I still think it's cute." I smile.

Blake hands the ring to me, and puts his hand out. I put the ring on and Blake admires it with a smile.

"This is amazing, thank you."

"You don't have to wear it to work or whatever, but I thought it would be nice. Who says guys can't have engagement rings either?"

Blake pulls me into his arms and we hug.

"We should finish setting the table." I groan.

"Why did we decide to have dinner at our house?"

"Because you wanted something low key."

"Damn, that's right."

Blake wanders out of the bedroom and I follow in suit. Somehow, we put the dishes and plates of food onto the table before the doorbell rings. I let Blake open the door while I finish perfecting the table.